Winter closing in Seattle?

So if you run it 24 hours per day, your cost will be about $360 per month.

Really time to get a VS pump. Would save you a lot on electrical cost.

Reactions: s.hashemirud
I live in Edmonds and haven’t done a full close. I do have a winter safety mesh cover and run at lower speed when it gets below freezing. I have a variable speed pump so it helps. Last year I decided to get a cover for my pump and heater as well for the few weeks it actually snowed. I believe it was just outdoor equipment generic winter covers from Amazon. It seemed to work just fine. No issues with opening pool. I was debating on blowing out the lines, covering, anti freeze, but it really doesn’t get below freezing that often and I haven’t had much experience with blowing out lines we decided to just run at low speeds. I went out of town for the holidays one year and had a house sitter run for us no issues! I also have an in-ground fiberglass pool as well.

I live in Edmonds and haven’t done a full close. I do have a winter safety mesh cover and run at lower speed when it gets below freezing. I have a variable speed pump so it helps. Last year I decided to get a cover for my pump and heater as well for the few weeks it actually snowed. I believe it was just outdoor equipment generic winter covers from Amazon. It seemed to work just fine. No issues with opening pool. I was debating on blowing out the lines, covering, anti freeze, but it really doesn’t get below freezing that often and I haven’t had much experience with blowing out lines we decided to just run at low speeds. I went out of town for the holidays one year and had a house sitter run for us no issues! I also have an in-ground fiberglass pool as well.
Thanks! You mean you turn off the pump and only run it when it is about freezing? Or you keep it on 24 hours. Also, I was wondering since the timer has 12 hours on it, how can I run it for more than 12? I really appreciate your help!
I had a conversation with another company, they said you need to run it when it is about freezing

Thanks! You mean you turn off the pump and only run it when it is about freezing? Or you keep it on 24 hours. Also, I was wondering since the timer has 12 hours on it, how can I run it for more than 12? I really appreciate your help!
I had a conversation with another company, they said you need to run it when it is about freezing
I was mistaken about timer

Did you bring down the water level at all? How far? How you use pump if you did? Sore I am a bit confused since I am new to pool

I assume you will have one professionally installed. If so, you should look at a Pentair Superflo VS.

much quieter. Most with a VS pump, when run at lower rpm, have to touch the pump to make sure it is running.
🙏🏿
I assume you will have one professionally installed. If so, you should look at a Pentair Superflo VS.
This is the one we already have. I thought since the name includes whisper it should be quite. I will check with a company. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0893.jpeg
    IMG_0893.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That would s the correct pump.

A self install there are other options. Do you have a friend that is handy?

As far as winterizing or not you got solid advice above. I would just like to bring one scenario to the table which is a power outage at the same time you have the freezing temps, you would then have no way to protect the plumbing, that's why I'm in favor of winterizing so it will be a non issue if the grid goes out for twenty four hours.

Reactions: newdude
As far as winterizing or not you got solid advice above. I would just like to bring one scenario to the table which is a power outage at the same time you have the freezing temps, you would then have no way to protect the plumbing, that's why I'm in favor of winterizing so it will be a non issue if the grid goes out for twenty four hours.
I agree with you but the companies are saying that even if we bring the water level down the underground plumbing would be in danger. We are new and I wanted them to winterize for us and the two companies that I contacted said they wouldn’t. Also, yes I know someone who is a handyman, but I asked a company to give us a quote and if it is fair, I prefer to have a professional installation. Thanks!

+1. You won't need great skimming for the winter with very little falling/blowing debris, once the yard has a good cleaning, so any water movement at all will be plenty.

There isn't any appreciable benefit going much below 1000 rpms. Could you even notice $6 less on your electric bill ? I sure couldn't.

Reactions: s.hashemirud
+1. You won't need great skimming for the winter with very little falling/blowing debris, once the yard has a good cleaning, so any water movement at all will be plenty.

There isn't any appreciable benefit going much below 1000 rpms. Could you even notice $6 less on your electric bill ? I sure couldn't.
Thanks! We put on 1400 for 22 hours and 2200 for 2 hours. Quick clean is on 3450

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.