Cabovegas

Jun 1, 2022
Las Vegas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just had my pool startup yesterday, and my husband and I asked the young kid if he thought our Jandy 1.65 VS was powerful enough to use with solar panels, he said no that we would need more HP since it is a two story house. Backstory is, we did not want a heater for our pool due to monthly cost, I have had two solar companies come out to give me quotes for solar panels just to heat the pool, both companies said that we have a great pump and never mentioned that it would be an issue with the HP (of course I know they are trying to get business) anyway i never questioned it, we live in Las Vegas which believe it or not the water in almost all pools I’ve ever been in is always chilly, long story short we don’t know if we should proceed with the solar panels company just for it not to even work because the pump is only 1.65 vs, or what we should do, I need some opinions from y’all, pretty much wanna know if our pump is sufficient for a two story house. Tia
Also if anyone from Vegas happens to read this I would appreciate recommendations for solar companies, thanks

Your pump is fine.

The power required to pump the water is up is balanced by the help of gravity flow down. The net is close to zero additional power needed.

Appreciate your response, the guys yesterday was saying he won’t be powerful enough to pump the water up to the roof, and you mentioned gravity so you got me confused, but I think the bottom line is your reply saying it will work for solar. Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem with that. Literally just did one a month ago with a 1.65 (had to repair the pump with new motor and impeller), very similar setup, and the homeowner has had no problems.
I had suntrek and helicoil come to give me quotes they were similar in price, but the helicoil guy bashed the suntrek guy of course anyway which do you recommend? Any other types?

I had suntrek and helicoil come to give me quotes they were similar in price, but the helicoil guy bashed the suntrek guy of course anyway which do you recommend? Any other types?
When I was installing solar, I always wanted to use Heliocol but they are very protective of their installation/sales companies. The Suntrek panels are connected with rubber tubes and hose clamps. These have to be tightened regularly as part of maintenance. They are similar to (and may be made by) FAFCO (made by Solar Industries). After a while the tubes get mis-shaped and leak. Heliocol panels are connected differently and seldom leak.
Unless Suntrek has changed their panel design, they will require strapping to hold them to the roof in the event of wind, more roof penetrations. Heliocol, with its separate tube system doesn't require that unless local code calls for it.
If your installer offers the option, they will probably offer a Pentair Sun Touch or a Solar Touch control. Solar Touch is less expensive and much more user friendly. You won't need all the options the Sun Touch has.

When I was installing solar, I always wanted to use Heliocol but they are very protective of their installation/sales companies. The Suntrek panels are connected with rubber tubes and hose clamps. These have to be tightened regularly as part of maintenance. They are similar to (and may be made by) FAFCO (made by Solar Industries). After a while the tubes get mis-shaped and leak. Heliocol panels are connected differently and seldom leak.
Unless Suntrek has changed their panel design, they will require strapping to hold them to the roof in the event of wind, more roof penetrations. Heliocol, with its separate tube system doesn't require that unless local code calls for it.
If your installer offers the option, they will probably offer a Pentair Sun Touch or a Solar Touch control. Solar Touch is less expensive and much more user friendly. You won't need all the options the Sun Touch has.
Ok so in conclusion the helicoil guy seems to be right about his dislike for suntrek, it get very windy in Las Vegas, and they did offer I believe the pentair, I’m don’t remember of the top of my head, the helicoil guy also said that the suntrek system tends to send black debri into the pool that peels off the solar pipes, so I guess helicoil is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.