Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

Re: Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

The return is where the water returns to the pool from filtering and should be pretty particle free. If it is not, that indicates a bigger issue.

I see dozens and dozens of success stories and have yet to hear anyone say it was a total waste. Perhaps the right hairnets matter, but everyone seems to have great success with the 100 pack on amazon that is really cheap - it is linked to in several threads. domct203 probably has a favorite too.

Are hairnets really that fine meshed? I never thought of that. I've looked into slime bags but they seem pricey, do hairnets do a similar job? Can they be used on return?
I doubt they are a fine as a Slime Bag, but I think that as they get dirty with fine particles, the filter better just like a sand filter does. All I know that is with the springtime pollen, they get blocked up within 24 hours to the point that it is extremely hard to remove the basket without opening my second suction port to relieve the suction on the basket.

The return is where the water returns to the pool from filtering and should be pretty particle free. If it is not, that indicates a bigger issue.

I see dozens and dozens of success stories and have yet to hear anyone say it was a total waste. Perhaps the right hairnets matter, but everyone seems to have great success with the 100 pack on amazon that is really cheap - it is linked to in several threads.

I like the 3M brand, the quality from hairnet to hairnet in the group of 100 is very consistent. With the cheaper unbranded (Chinese) ones, some seem thicker/denser than others.

I figured for what amounts to pennies per hairnet, I would rather stick with a name-brand that seems to show better quality consistency.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Disposabl...=1499876233&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+hair+nets&th=1

So I just went to Leslie's to compare my results to theirs. Today they were close.. But I checked out their test kits and they didn't know what an FAS-DPD chlorine test was. They swore it was only made for alkalinity lol. So my doubts about Leslie's are even more solidified.

Still not sure how my CYA level rose from 30 to 100 over two weeks with only one trichlor tab every 5 days or so since I use bleach.

CYA seems to be the test that they are the worst at. Unfortunately, it's also the most important for our method of pool care. Without accurate CYA testing, everything else is just guesswork.

That's grounds enough for me to hate them. ?

Interesting discussion here.

I tend to agree that pool store = evil empire should not be dogma here, or ever really stated. I also think it is typically newer members excited about what they have learned here that are often those that end up posting more extreme views like that. And I would hope that veteran members would temper some of those posts.

Pool stores have a purpose and can be helpful, but personally I would not rely on them for testing. I too get my chlorine and acid from the pool stores, although have switched from Leslie's to a local store that has better prices.

Ignoring their ability to accurately test, it is the advice that they offer that is a bigger concern to me. The FC/CYA relationship was documented over 40 years ago. Why is this not known by the pool store employees? Why do the pool stores still push unrealistic recommendations that will not fix the underlying problem? I can only think of 2 reasons. 1. They have not been trained properly and are ignorant of the chemistry. Or 2. They ignore it for profitable reasons.
Either of these make me wonder why they should be trusted.
I welcome additional explanations as to why the 40 year old science is still ignored in the pool industry.

I think a lot of the misinformation handed out and used by pool store retailers comes from the chemical manufacturers and distributors. Much of the retailer's understanding of pool chemicals and their relationship to one another is taught by the manufacturers. When my local pool store tells me that up to 100 ppm of CYA is just fine with 4 ppm FC, I ask why, and told that the CYA manufacturer said so and points to a chart by the manufacturer, I believe the retailer is clueless and is taking information without question. When I see a customer at the local pool store walking out with $300 worth of various chemicals for a "cloudy" pool I believe the retailer is either clueless (selling products at the chemical manufacturers recommendations) or I question their motives. I hope it's clueless.

Pool store CYA testing is just begging for algae IMO. Pool store FC testing at pool stores that only uses OTO or DPD (as opposed to FAS-DPD) is laughable and misleading if you've got algae and are attempting a SLAM without a test kit.

It is the one pool related investment that can pay for itself. Yet, the one so many resist. Hilarious right?

Pool stores have conditioned the masses to buy magic potions instead of science. Next up: Pool Stores Selling Used Cars! This car is great! I tested it and it is wonderful! You don't even need to test drive it yourself, just trust me! You just need to put this fuel system protector in every week so you don't have crud buildup that could cause issues (phosphate stuff). You also need to hang a new air freshener every so often or it will not be as great as you want (clarifier). Just one more thing, each time you have any strange engine sounds at all you must use a bottle of our special easy-idle engine protector (algaecide). Also, since something is already wrong, drop a packet of this one-time magic engine corrector in the gas tank (solid shock packet)..well actually, your engine is really bad so make it two...and two in three days. What's that? You don't want to have to bring your car to the shop very often or even check the fluid levels daily? Try these engine-b-gud pucks - you just throw them on top of the engine and they dissolve into magical engine goodness (trichlor tablets). You should also buy a special engine-b-gud dispenser that will deteriorate fast, so it also requires replacement often too (floater). You want to make sure this car will last a really long time, isn't that right? Well we have our own, special, ultra high end car-correcter-contraptions that will, of course like magic, keep everything just right (cya reducers, ph lock-in products, calcium for vinyl pools, metal preventives for little/no metal pools, copper algaecides, selling someone with a sand filter a cart filter, selling someone with a cart filter a de filter, selling someone a de filter a quad de filter, etc.).

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure anyone would buy a used car without test driving it, especially if they told you that you'd need all that to keep it running right.

Buy a test kit. Can't go wrong with TF-100 and K2006C is great too. Colorblind, maybe consider the other one. Second guess yourself a lot, buy the CYA standard solution. Clumsy, lazy, perfectionist, or fun loving? Add the speedstir and sample sizer.

Then, instead of buying magic, you've invested in science. From there you can spend as little time and money as possible to keep your TFP indeed a trouble free pool through very minimal maintenance and dosing.

CYA seems to be the test that they are the worst at. Unfortunately, it's also the most important for our method of pool care. Without accurate CYA testing, everything else is just guesswork.

That's grounds enough for me to hate them. 

I even asked them to be super careful with the CYA test.. The guy just squeezes the bottle for a second then does drops.. They want a high CYA i guess.. Just watching them peddle junk chemicals is amusing.. If they try to sell me PhosFree one more time I will puke..

I use a Leslies and an independent pool store and often walk out without spending anything. I even asked the independent to evaluate my pool about maybe acid washing. The owner came and looked and recommended SLAMing saying he could do it but did not like acid washing. It's refreshing to find people that turn down work. I have never had a sales pitch at Leslies or my indie store. Comparing my readings from my newly acquired TF100 test kit, Leslies gave me proper readings on my last water test. Do I trust them completely? No, I always do my own research when it comes to my cars, RV, guns and motorcycles, tools, lawnmowers etc.
Leslies is like any other big chain retail outlet. I worked for Bass Pro Shop for a little while. You would be surprised at how many instant experts work there. Same as Auto Zone, Walmart, Home Depot etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

pool stores are neither good nor evil, but a tool you can either use right or use wrong. It is not, and will never be, their pool, it is your pool. Let them make the decisions and they will make decisions using their logic, not yours. Why use the tool that way when you've already found TFP? Use it to save money or time if you can/want to. Certainly there is nothing wrong with anyone who wishes to do business selling quality, fresh chemicals, doing quality repairs, and carrying things you'd otherwise have to have shipped. So rejoice that the pool store is a tool in your bag, there if you wish to use it. Just know, the water testing part of that tool is, unquestionably, inferior in scientific value compared to doing the testing yourself with care and determination.

- - - Updated - - -

Ding ding ding.... Pay the man, Shirley.

I use a local pool store for my fittings and tools. My commercial pool i run has an account there. I buy boric acid and clarifier and defoamer there. Also my muriatic acid cause its cheap and my reagents. They actually are pretty smart but i rely on this forum and myself. Today i heard them talking about phosphates and kept my mouth shut :)

The closest Leslie's is 35 miles away. The local pool $tore charges $10.00 per test unless you buy $15 worth of stuff. The Ace hardware charges $5 unless you buy something. Perhaps if I need ma this summer I'll let the hardware store test it just for the entertainment value. I have had some assistance from the pool $tore on removing iron and until I replaced the hoses with pipe I was going there for fittings. The owner is nice, seems very knowledgeable....but of course her livelihood is selling potions and parts. Thank you, TFP!

It made me laugh so hard, :D I wanted to post it on the original thread, but sometimes I've seen new posters not take comedic posts too well since they are stressed learning the truth about their pools. So this was the next best place ;)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.