How can I tell my SWG is working right?

amyemh

Aug 1, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Hi-I have been lurking on this forum for a while and decided to finally join:)

I am just learning how to properly care for my pool 8 years after I put it in! Years of getting by with dumping hundreds of dollars of chemicals in the pool has gotten really old. I am waiting on a new test kit so I can really see what is happening but I have a few questions first. All I have to work with for now is a standard Aquacheck strip.

pH 7.2
FC 0
Alkalinity 120
CYA 0

Salt level 3100

So my questions are:

1. Is it true that my test strip will not show any FC because I use a SWG?
2. Is it true that I do not need stabilizer?
3. Does a declining salt level over time tell me that my SWG IS working?

I have been told all of these things by my local pool store guy, but they don't make sense to me.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated:)

(I am assuming the "signature" info describing my equipment appears automatically at the bottom of the post)

Welcome to the forum!

1. No
2. No
3. No

So now that we have answered those questions! What test kit did you order? How does your water look? Are you having any algae in the pool? Any issues?

When you get your kit, run the tests and post them up!
And dive into Pool School.

Your signature did not show up. You must initiate it on a computer, not by mobile. Be sure the box is checked in the lower left of the Reply box.

Take care.

Thank you, I didn't think he was right.

I ordered a Taylor K-2006 Salt Test Kit. I will post results as soon as I get it.

Sunday the pool had a green film on the bottom, but was clear. I added 2 bags of powdered chlorine to shock it and brushed it. I also rinsed the cartridges. I left it on "super chlorinate" for 24 hours.

Monday the pool was cloudy, green gone and test strip showed no FC or CYA. Salt level was at 2400. I added 3 x 40#bags of salt and 2 x 4# bags of CYA.

After looking on this forum, I learned that I should have been cleaning the SWG at least 2x a year and tried that today with diluted muriatic acid. Put it back together and am running another 24 super chlorinate right now, but test strip shows no FC or CYA.

[h=1][/h]

The Hayward SWG is easy to tell if it's working correctly. Check diagnostics for amps, volts, temperature and salinity.

If salinity is correct, the cell is operating properly. If the cell is failing, the salinity will read lower than actual.

You need to know the actual salinity with good certainty.

I recommend the K-1766 salt test kit.

Don't clean the cell unless you see scale. Acid will eat up the life of the plates.

So, you have algae. And your SWCG is not keeping up with the chlorine demand.

You can either leave your SWCG on 'super chlorinate' 24/7 or add 2 gallons of bleach a day without the SWCG on. Until you get your test kit. At that time, have about 10 gallons of bleach on hand and 10# of CYA powder on hand.

Did you get the K2006C? The C matters. If it was not, then you need to order a FAS-DPD refill kit from TFTestkits.net now. You will quickly use up the small amount of reagents in the non-C K2006 kit.

Let us know when you have your test results.

Take care.

welcome to TFP amyemh :wave:

The test strips really are a guessing game. If you've added 8 lbs of CYA you know it's in there. No clue why your FC isn't showing up unless you still have some algae in there that is eating it up nearly as fast as you put it in. Once you get a test kit and can do a CC reading it will tell you if you need to SLAM. I'm guessing you do. Till then I'd try to brush at least once daily.

I missed the fact you had added CYA -- sorry. You should not have to add more this year. Though you will be on the low end of CYA for a SWCG.

Sorry -- take care.

How did you add the 8# of CYA?

Thanks for the suggestions.

@mknauss-I ordered the additional reagents, thanks! I will get the results posted as soon as I get the test kit.

@Kiss4aFrog-I will brush daily.

@JamesW- The cell definitely needed cleaning, but I will remember not to overdo it. It's never been done in 8 years and it was full of debris and scale. We have very hard water in my area and it was full of calcium deposits.
The salinity in the default menu shows 3200 ppm
The Diagnostic menu shows +25.49V +5.82A
and 2700 ppm at 84 degrees

I need to manually test the salt level to see whats up, but an 8 year old cell is most likely beginning to fail, right?

8 years is a good life for a cell. Average is 5 to 7. As long as the box salinity is correct in both polarities, the cell is good. If it is more that 800 ppm low in either polarity, the cell is probably bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.