Why does my pool seem to need additional chlorine?

pktaske

May 31, 2023
Monroe Township, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
So my pool stays clear mostly but after a few days of normal operation (pump on 8 to 10 hours, FC level around 2-3ppm, CYA 30 to 45, 3 Trichlor tabs each in two floats), the deep end doesn't look as clear. It's clear, but not super, sparkly, clear. I'll then dump a gallon of Bleach in or a bag of shock and the next day it's super clear. A few days later, rinse and repeat.

??

Thanks....

Low CYA for this time of year and low FC (is that what the level you test prior to adding chlorine or is that the level you are targeting?).

Get your CYA at a solid 40 to 50 ppm and maintain your FC in the target level range, even at the low point. See
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Bperry
I just added some CYA. Let's see what happens.

I thought the danger with these tabs is added CYA but my CYA has actually dropped from 50 ppm to 35ppm since I opened the pool on June 3rd. Weird.
I'm in NJ and we got a LOT of rain in the past month or so, maybe that has something to do with it.

I just added some CYA. Let's see what happens.

I thought the danger with these tabs is added CYA but my CYA has actually dropped from 50 ppm to 35ppm since I opened the pool on June 3rd. Weird.
You're in New Jersey? If you are getting lots of rain like we are, that will dilute your CYA. And, my experience is, rain brings in algae spores, airborne dust and pollens.

How may I ask are you testing the water?
TFP kit. I think one of the issues might be my 1-3 ppm FC target. I'm pretty sure on the instruction card that came with my TFP kit it says that 1-3 ppm should be the target. Seems like it needs to be higher? Why does the card say this?

Also - last test showed 0 CC and 7.2 pH.

How does rain affect CYA dropping? It's just replacing evaporated water. Additionally, my pool gets next to zero 'splash loss'.

With a 50k gal pool, even backwashing the DE to waste should result in negligible CYA loss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you post a picture of that card? I just looked at the sheet that is included with my TF-Pro and there are no recommended levels at all. I'm not sure why they would ever include such directions..

A word to the wise; treat “Target Range” as minimum. Stay far away from “Minimum” on the chart. There are countless posts on this forum with people having problems when trying to maintain FC levels between “Minimum” and “Target”.

Just my 2 cents. 🙂

Go team Run Hot! 😁👍

Reactions: Newdude and Lilypad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.