Why does Hot Spring say not to use compressed Bromine?

Skibabette

Mar 19, 2021
Paso Robles, CA
I'm a first-time spa owner - it was set in place on March 5th, and hooked up by my electrician on March 14th. I purchased bromine tablets (bromo-chloro-dimethlyhydantoin) and a floater for my spa (a Hot Spring Limelight Flair), then I read the manual which states "DO NOT use tri-chlor chlorine, bromo-chloro-dimethylhydantoin (BCDMH), or any type of compressed bromine or chlorine, acid, or any type of sanitizer which is not recommended by WATKINS WELLNESS."

Why do they say not to use compressed bromine?

I have not used the bromine tablets for fear it will void my warranty, but I also can't return them.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I can't imagine what they have against bromine tablets, unless of course it is because they sell salterwater generating systems for their spas, in addition to silver ion mineral systems. If you did not buy the saltwater system or the silver ion system using bromine in the spa should not be a problem, as far as I know. Let a few more people comment and see if they have any information to add.

Floaters release highly concentrated chemicals with a low ph, which tend to end up in a certain spot (usually in front of the skimmer). This causes staining of the surface, and damage to equipment if in front of the skimmer.
All the same reasons I don't recommend floaters either.

Floaters release highly concentrated chemicals with a low ph, which tend to end up in a certain spot (usually in front of the skimmer). This causes staining of the surface, and damage to equipment if in front of the skimmer.
All the same reasons I don't recommend floaters either.
Thank you for your explanation! What do you recommend using? Do you recommend steering clear of the Spa Frog cartridges too? I'm currently using SpaGuard Brominating Concentrate. I had the option of adding on the Freshwater Salt System which would have required less maintenance on my end. My husband left for a 12 month deployment the day our spa was delivered and we have 2 very active little boys, on top of me working as a CPA during tax season. I've figured out these last 2 weeks that it's a good thing that I'm a CPA and not a chemist, and am regretting not doing the salt water system.

I've heard bad things about the hot springs salt cells.
I don't personally use bromine, but any oxidizer will activate the bromide bank and produce bromine. So start with sodium bromide, then shock with chlorine or mps after use to establish your bromine residual. Add chemicals directly in the center (or as near as you can reach) with the jets on. Leave your cover off for 15 minutes or so after adding chemicals.

I've had pas/hot tubs for going on 40 years. This is the best method I've found-

In my Jacuzzi spa I used to have bromine tablets in a dispenser inside the filter. But about a year ago I switched to a drape over SWCG and I love it. The only downside is that it is draped over and you have a tube in your tub. But the water is clearer than ever and there is WAY less small than with bromine. It is probably more expensive as I spent about C$500 on the chlorinator but no complaints so far.

Our hot tub manufacturer-Watkins/HotSprings- told me the bits could fall out& stain the shell but we never had that happen in 4 years. We tried switching to the Frog System but it wasn’t really an improvement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.