Why do PB's not like SWCG?

Zsyedmd

Feb 14, 2020
Richmond, TX
So- is there a reason why most PBs are opposed to SWGs? We are in the process of planning a new build (1st time) and everyone is talking us out of it- however no consistent alternative. Some say ozone is better, some say bromine, some say UV plus ozone. I dont know who to believe. I have severe asthma and skin allergies and cant stand regular chlorine water, and love the feel of salt water. Actually, also helps me breath better. But really getting scared off by the PBs being so strongly against SWGs since we will be novice pool owners.

Seems to be a Texas PB thing. Some prior threads...

Maybe cuz everything is bigger in Texas and they are upset they can’t go 20X on most pools ?

Z,

The idea that "most" pool builder don't like SWCG's is not actually true... Most pool builders, outside the greater Houston area, have no problem installing saltwater systems.

Keep in mind that a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. The Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG), just uses the salt in the water to generate the chlorine the pool needs. A saltwater pool is not like the ocean... The ocean has a salt level of 35,000 ppm, while the salt level in a pool is only about 3500, which is about the same level as your tears.

I would just as soon fill my pool in, as not have a saltwater pool. :mrgreen:

Houston pool builders use a lot of cheap limestone which falls apart over time. They like to blame that on the saltwater, but it is a stone problem, not a saltwater problem.
Tell them what you want.. If they say no, move on to someone that wants your business.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Z..
what Jim said... My daughter has real sensitive skin.. she even had to quit a job teaching swimming lessons at the local public pool because of it. But she has no problem with our SWG pool. One of the convenient side effects of an SWG pool is that it breaks down the by products of sanitation that are irritating to the skin in a non SWG pool.. or at least that is the theory. Whatever the mechanism I find it to be true in my experience. So don't let the PB's dictate the sale, you have a valid reason for going SWG. ;)

Reactions: Monster1
Get the pool that you want and find a PB that will work with you on it. Many we worked with didnt have salt in their standard package, but said "we will do that if that is what you want".

My theory is that pool builders get incentives when they sell the extras like Nature2, ozone, UV, etc. To support my theory, here is a list of sponsors for a Pool Builder conference in New Orleans. It is riddled with various companies selling their gadgets. If you dont sell their stuff, I'm guessing you dont get the invite.

I'd like to expand a bit on what Jim said above...
A salt water pool *is* a chlorine pool.....the salt water just makes the chlorine.
but also...
All chlorine pools actually turn themselves in to salt water pools over time. As each chemical added breaks down and leaves residual salt behind.

Now, the salt those chemicals leave behind is mostly unnoticeable, and suddenly a pool owner wants to add a SWG device. They go and test their salt level so they can add enough salt for the device to work- and Lo'and Behold! They have almost 1/2 to 3/4 of the salt the device requires already in their pool!

If it hasn't hurt anything yet.... do you think a little more is actually going to make any difference? Nope.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
I’m in Texas too. IIRC, none of the PB’s I interviewed tried to talk me out of a SWG. The PB I did choose didn’t bat an eye when I said I wanted a SWG.

Every single builder I talked to opposed building a salt pool. They had different reasons...warranties on equipment was the most popular. Others included but not limited to stone decay, leaving a metal object in the pool to find out it rusted, killing plants/shrubs, etc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our PB never offered anything BUT an SWG system. He said he hasn't built a non-SWG pool in several years.

Every single builder I talked to opposed building a salt pool. They had different reasons...warranties on equipment was the most popular. Others included but not limited to stone decay, leaving a metal object in the pool to find out it rusted, killing plants/shrubs, etc

Jimmie, its ignorance on the part of those pool builders. They apparently don't realize how much salt builds up or that every company that makes pool equipment also make salt water generators. So how can they claim it messes up the warranty on pool equipment??

Maddie :flower:

I had an Intelliflow issue with the motor. I notified my PB who contacted Pentair. Pentair came out and said it could be from salt water (yeah whatever) regardless they replaced the pump on the spot. No problem. Point is my pump was under warranty and they replaced it regardless.
In my opinion go with Pentair. They stick by there products and I have never had an issue with them replacing something. Also had an SWG flow switch go out. They replaced that ASAP. My two cents.

Zsye....

Pretty much PBs who dont like SWGs have or heard horror stories of all sorth of things happening with SWG systems, and suffered customer complaints. No one like customer complaints. Whether or not the stories are over blown is irrelevent.

The ozone systems and UV systems do not work as well as advertised in an outdoor pools.
If you are sensitive to chlorine water, it may be the chlorine was either higher than it should have been in other pools, or more likely, the combined chloramines in that water were the source of the irritation. In any case though, keep reading and asking questions and good luck on whichever system you choose.

What about algaecides like PoolRx. They say supposedly cuts down on salt cell use..
If you read through the forums you will find many people with SWG pools will use an algaecide in the winter as a preventive measure when its too cold for the SWG to generate. But as the articles states, they are never used for regular algae control since they provide no sanitation.

Last edited:
They wouldn't work together as most algaecides react with the FC I have found. So you are using one or the other for a specific purpose. The best tips I've found for extending cell life are keeping the overall chemistry of the pool in check. And not acid washing the cell more than it needs to. I've seen references that the warmer the water shorter the lifespan on the cell. That's mostly anecdotal, but who likes to swim in freezing water. ;)

Last edited:
I was mostly asking in regards to decreasing the salt cell output and therefore extending the life of the salt cell.

You are mixing unsanitary with unsightly. Algae is unsightly but not unsanitary. Bacteria is unsanitary but cannot be seen. When you have conditions that allow algae that you can see you also have conditions for bacteria that you can not see.

Algaecides will reduce algae. They will do nothing to reduce bacteria.

You always need the proper amount of FC as shown int he FC/CYA Levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.