Who uses a portable pump for spring clean ups? Tell me about your set up. I use a 3/4hp/1.0sf Hayward super pump. I feel like i need more power!

Kevo5oh

In The Industry
Apr 21, 2019
Nashville
The 3/4 hp pulls 11.0 amps. I would love to jump to a 1 1/2 hp but think it pulls like 18.6 amps and am afraid I would start tripping breakers?! Maybe my only options are a 1.0hp? Think they pull like 15.0 amps. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1556021570881-341713214.jpg
    1556021570881-341713214.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 10
Why have 2 pumps? One two speed pump that you can wire in 220v would be better

I use my 1/2 hp and just scrub a 2' circle and leave it there 15 mins. I take my time and take about a month to open. Still too cold to swim now

Kevo,

Welcome to TFP. I think a little more information would help. What kind of clean up work are you doing? Is it for your pool, if so what size and shape? Seems like your getting close to the practical limit with extension cords and breakers. Next step up would be a gas powered utrility/trash pump. 2hp start around $200.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Kevo,

Welcome to TFP. I think a little more information would help. What kind of clean up work are you doing? Is it for your pool, if so what size and shape? Seems like your getting close to the practical limit with extension cords and breakers. Next step up would be a gas powered utrility/trash pump. 2hp start around $200.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Hey chris, I do service work. Many clean ups a year. Years ago I had an older 3/4 hp super pump that seemed to have more power than this newer model? Maybe this one pulls less amps..can't read the older ones label anymore. I use 12 gauge ext cords from customers outlet to my pump. I would step up to the question 1 1/2 hp but pulls 18.6 @115v. Would think max outside breaker would be 20 amps..cutting it close. I think a 1 hp that pulls 15 amps may be my only option for more power and keeping it lighter and portable. I'm no electrician but don't think I can wire something 220v and make portable

Hey chris, I do service work. Many clean ups a year. Years ago I had an older 3/4 hp super pump that seemed to have more power than this newer model? Maybe this one pulls less amps..can't read the older ones label anymore. I use 12 gauge ext cords from customers outlet to my pump. I would step up to the question 1 1/2 hp but pulls 18.6 @115v. Would think max outside breaker would be 20 amps..cutting it close. I think a 1 hp that pulls 15 amps may be my only option for more power and keeping it lighter and portable. I'm no electrician but don't think I can wire something 220v and make portable
Yep, I agree. If you really do need that much power then a gas powered pump is more practical. But if your old one worked and was only 3/4 hp then I'd try to figure out what's wrong with your new pump. We have some great pump experts here so if you can give us a little more information to go on like discharge pressure and model numbers etc.

Chris

Yep, I agree. If you really do need that much power then a gas powered pump is more practical. But if your old one worked and was only 3/4 hp then I'd try to figure out what's wrong with your new pump. We have some great pump experts here so if you can give us a little more information to go on like discharge pressure and model numbers etc.

Chris
Hey chris I don't think there's really anything wrong with my new pump I think it just pulls less amps than the older one did. Less amps= less power right? Am I thinking right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are any of you guys tech/service guys? If so do you do customer spring clean ups? If you do what are you guys using? I've actually even thought about the riptide set up but pricey and not sure how much power they have?

That seems to be a common cleaning setup. Below is what my cleaning guy uses.

I think more HP will just suck lots more water quickly and dump more water out of the pool without cleaning faster.

That pump should be more than enough power. If anything, you should have to restrict the output.

Are you sure that the voltage selector plug is set to 120?

Check the impeller to make sure that it's not clogged.

Is the basket clean and not cracked?

Sometimes the basket can float and debris can get in the impeller. Try keeping a medium sized rock in the basket to hold it down.

Does the pump get full prime and sound like it's running correctly?

Last edited:
Hey chris I don't think there's really anything wrong with my new pump I think it just pulls less amps than the older one did. Less amps= less power right? Am I thinking right?
Everything else being equal, yes. Voltage and pump efficiency can have a big impact.

Reactions: Kevo5oh
That pump should be more than enough power. If anything, you should have to restrict the output.

Are you sure that the voltage selector plug is set to 120?

Check the impeller to make sure that it's not clogged.

Is the basket clean and not cracked?

Sometimes the basket can float and debris can get in the impeller. Try keeping a medium sized rock in the basket to hold it down.

Does the pump get full prime and sound like it's running correctly?
Hey James,

Yes pump is set to 115 when I wired it.

I will crack it open and check the impeller. Haven't in awhile...I do sometimes do vac out on concrete/rocks after work has been completed.

Basket I keep clean..not cracked.

Full prime..no air bubbles...runs good.

Maybe I'll just try a super pump 1hp maybe it will have more stronger suction?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.