Whitish Mucus-like stuff in 15'x48" - How to clean without getting in?

CCQueen

Jul 29, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
Three days ago, discovered cloudy water, FC at 0, opened filter pump to see white chunky bits in water and filter.
Also found whitish slimy substance clinging onto leaves at pool bottom. I believe from reading for hours on the forums here, that it's white mold.
Immediately began SLAM process and have been washing filter cartridge and filter pump area every twelve hours.
Pool is cleared with exception of remains on bottom, now only see small white particles in filter pump/cartridge.
Questions:
  • how to vacuum out remaining debris when I only have the garden hose style debris vacuum
  • how to scrub the pool without getting into the now, high chlorine water
  • is it best to drain/scrub/refill?
  • if i were to drain/scrub/refill, looking for specific recommendations on what to clean with? how long to dry before refilling?
  • should i get the recommended fancy test kit for this small of seasonal pool?
Thanks so much!

I'd get the test kit. It is expensive for a small seasonal pool. However, if you really have white water mold you got there by not maintaining the proper levels of CYA and free chlorine. A good test kit makes it really easy to maintain your water. How did you SLAM without the test kit?

My only experience with white water mold was due to my CYA being off the charts. At 200+ levels of CYA, the chlorine is totally ineffective. If your CYA is too high your only choice is a complete or partial water change. It's had to tell you what to do without good test values to start with. TFP is all about managing your water and not guessing.

What were you using for chlorine up to this point?

Well, you can actually get in at SLAM level, but the problem is that you don’t really know if you are at SLAM level because you don’t have a test kit. Strips aren’t going to help.

So, it‘s up to you. You can drain and refill, using Pool Math to add CYA to an appropriate level (since there is no CYA in tap water, you will start at zero and actually have control of your number). But you‘d need to SLAM, to make sure you kill all the crud.

Gross! if you do a search of the forum, you’ll see some recommendations of Ahh-Some to break down the white mold‘s coating (biofilm) which makes it easier to kill.

Reactions: CCQueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Google says white water mold looks like shredded tissue paper. Mine was growing in my filter basket, not so much free floating in the pool. Your case looks like white water mold or something similar to me. I'm not an expert on white water mold. I just had to live with getting rid of it. I ended up doing multiple water exchanges to get my CYA to a livable number for the rest of that season until I closed the pool for the winter. Next year the CYA had degraded enough that I could basically start over with a much lower level.

As soon as you get your test kit you need to post up some real numbers.

Reactions: CCQueen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.