white particles in the hot tub

Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
A few months ago I installed a new ozone generator. Since then there are heavy, white particles (size of kosher salt) at the bottom of the spa. I thought it would be gone by now but there is no reduction. Calcium level is 70ppm. Any ideas how to fix?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could it be calcium scale from inside the old ozone cell that was disturbed during the swap? Have you had high calcium in the past?

old cell is gone so not sure how it would get in?
high calcium has not been an issue before. The current calcium level is very low, which makes me think something is solidifying all the water calcium.
also the pH has been on the high side lately.

A spa ozone generator does not get wet. Air is drawn past UV radiation, a bulb or arc generator, and drawn into the water via a mazzie valve (venturi). I would think it is scale from inside your pipes or heater. Have you ever done a purge?

Reactions: Shirker
if you are certain this is calcium scale (acid dissolving it, is strong evidence, I admit) then I think I would attack this a little differently. Since Scale responds to low pH you may need to do some more research on eliminating scale build-up without damaging your equipment. Lets have the scale elimination experts chime in: You could also kill two angry birds with one process here, and dose with ahh-some AND whatever preparation the calcium experts recommend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.