VST

Feb 11, 2024
Florida, United States
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, does anyone know what these white flakes in my pump basket are exactly? They're also on the pool bench next to the first pool return and within the spa (attached spillover).
I thought they were coming from the salt cell based on my research. So I cleaned it and started to turn it off ten minutes before turning my pump off. I had heard that this would prevent these flakes from precipitating out of solution.

That seemed to work, but they are back now. I used Leslie's conditioner granules two days ago. Do those granules produces these flakes in water?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240420_085937.jpg
    20240420_085937.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 11
It could be the conditioner granules - how did you add them into your pool?

Could also be calcium as commented above.

Consider doing your own testing:
Test Kits Compared
Tied off in a skimmer sock and put off to the side in the skimmer basket. Supposed to dissolver over days,but for some reason, they dissolve in hrs.

I went to bed yesterday and saw no flakes in the pump basket. When I woke up, there were a ton. Before I went to bed, though, I placed a skimmer sock over the skimmer basket. That should have caught these flakes before they reached the pump basket. No flakes were in the skimmer basket. So not sure what's going on or where they're coming from.

Did you do the calcium test suggested above? (Put the flakes in a lump and check if it fizzles when Muriatic Acid is introduced)

Did you do the calcium test suggested above? (Put the flakes in a lump and check if it fizzles when Muriatic Acid is introduced)
Fizzed a lot. So I guess it is calcium and not conditioner?

I watched this video that talked about turning your salt cell off ten mins before turning your pump off. I have been doing that for one week and saw no flakes. Yesterday, when turning off the equipment to skim the pool, I forgot that theory and turned both off at the same time. Could so many flakes come from just forgetting to do that one time? I had even washed my salt cell just last week

Are you able to set your salt cell to run between certain hours?
For example, my pump runs from 6a-12p and the SWG is set to run 7a-11a (4 hours)

Are you able to set your salt cell to run between certain hours?
For example, my pump runs from 6a-12p and the SWG is set to run 7a-11a (4 hours)
Will read the indtruction manual online. It's a pentair ichlor 30.

Right now i have the pump running 24/7 to avoid this problem. It's variable speed, so most of the time, it's run ls at a low speed.

So you think it is the salt cell causing the problem? And letting it power off before the pump just one time can cause so many flakes? Even though I cleaned the salt cell last week?

How often do you test your water? Do you have a recent set of test results?

That you run your pump 24/7 is good. That way you don’t have to think about when your SWG is producing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a reasonable amount to check. TFP cautions against pool store tests because they can be innacurate. The recommendation is to test on your own. This will help you make informed choices about how to manage your water. You may have high calcium which may require drain/refill, RO, or a water exchange to get the level where it should be. Below is some suggested reading.
Test Kits Compared
Pool Care Basics
PoolMath

thanks will look into that.
for what it's worth, sometimes i check at Leslie's and sometimes at PAP. Both results seem to be in line with each other.

any idea why the granular conditioner dissolves in hrs instead of days? is the flow in the skimmer too much?

When adding the conditioner, I hang it in a sock by a return that’s furthest away from the skimmer. It typically takes 30 minutes with some squeezing for it to dissolve. I then brush the pool floor and run my robot for a few days to make sure it’s completely dissolved before I test to see the new result. The CYA needs time to completely dissolve and mix with the water. I never add anything directly to the skimmer.

Regarding the water exchange I mentioned earlier - don’t do it blind. Wait until you have an appropriate test kit so you know what your goal is.

Pool stores are there to sell you on things and they often give advice that may not be accurate. That’s why we recommend you do your own testing and use TFP as a resource to make your pool trouble free.
I started out just like you so I know how overwhelming it can be. If you decide to move forward with the TFP method we are here to support you. 🙂

Pool stores are there to sell you on things and they often give advice that may not be accurate. That’s why we recommend you do your own testing and use TFP as a resource to make your pool trouble free.
I started out just like you so I know how overwhelming it can be. If you decide to move forward with the TFP method we are here to support you. 🙂
Thanks! 4th months into owning a pool. Didn't even know what a skimmer was 4 months ago.

Ha! There is a learning curve for sure, but it doesn’t take long. For more guidance about your equipment, you can post photos below and someone will help you figure out what’s what if you need. I’m not a super whiz about that, but we have plenty of people on here ready to assist.

That is a reasonable amount to check. TFP cautions against pool store tests because they can be innacurate. The recommendation is to test on your own. This will help you make informed choices about how to manage your water...Below is some suggested reading.
Test Kits Compared
Pool Care Basics
PoolMath
Follow this advice. We don't trust pool store test results or advice. Get your own TFP recommended test kit and post your test results. Running a lower (60 ppm) will help reduce SWG calcium scaling. See the link below for your recommended levels..