Whisperflo vst and easytouch issues

jseaton

Feb 24, 2023
Fort Worth
N,

VS pumps should get constant AC power, so yes, the line side of the pump filter relay or directly to a circuit breaker.

It should NOT be in external mode which is for relay inputs.

If this is the only pump then it should be set to address #1

If it is not the main pump, then you need to set the address to #2 or at least not number 1.

When the automation is in control of the pump, its screen will flash between Auto and RPM/speed

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hello Jim,

I have been reading a lot of your posts regarding the serial RS-485 connections and pump capability. I have a Whisperflo VST and Easy Touch 8. PB wired up main power through the relay and using the the speeds on the drive. Like you have mentioned, the power should not be wired through the relays, only the I/O in the cable for external control, or the RS-485. I spoke to Pentair and they referenced page 5 on the manual for controlling 100% over RS-485. The PB's Pentair Rep claims this is not correct and the pump has to be wired the way they did. Do you know for a fact the Whisperflo VST. MN#356289 and Easy Touch are 100% compatible overRS-485 control only. You mentioned a lot of references regarding changing speeds in the spa compared to the pool etc. This looks to be a newer pump. Short of rewiring my self and setting the node and and other data on the drive, not to mention warranty issues, I wanted to get another opinion.

Thanks much!

Welcome to TFP.

What is the manufacturing date of your Whisperflo VST pump shown on the label on the front of the pump?

The SuperFlo VS, Supermax VS, and WhisperFlo VST pumps manufactured after 11/20/2020 with RS-485 communication can digitally communicate with IntelliCenter, IntelliSync, EasyTouch, and IntelliTouch systems.

Whisperflo VST pump uses the same drive as the Superflo VST pump.

J,

Well.. page 5 of the manual says it can be controlled by the RS-485 com port.. !!!! What more could your pool builder and local rep want?? :scratch:

Open your EasyTouch up and find the end of the cable that is attached to the pump.

Make sure you can see all the wires in the cable..

If you only have 6 wires you have the wrong cable.

If you have 8 wires, you have the right cable and the Yellow and Green wires should be unused..

Please let me know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.