Which Sand Pump/Filter System should I get?

Oct 10, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Hello all, I’m a long time lurker finally pulling the trigger on a new pool this summer. We decided on the Lomart Verona 24' Round 54" (15 gallons) but I’m super confused on how to select the right pump and filter.

Should we avoid pump/filter combos and buy them separate?

I’m thinking we should go with a sand of course but I can’t figure out which speed or HP I should be shooting for.

We also plan on setting up a SWG as well since there’s a lot less maintenance.

Last edited:
I'd get a 2 speed or VS pump. The VS is the best, but I don't know if the cost over the 2 speed is worth it with an above ground pool. Everyone on here always says to get the biggest filter you can afford to keep from cleaning it as often. The pump speed I'm not absolutely sure on. I'm looking at a 1.5 hp 2 speed pump for a 24' round, but I think it's a bit overpowered. I'm looking at getting a combo (Pentair Clean and Clear 150 Sqft cartridge filter with 1.5 hp 2 speed pump) I think though a 1 hp might be better (not use as much electricity and clean the pool just fine??, but not positive) You'll love the SWG. I had one on my little intex and loved it, and plan to use one on my new pool. Hopefully, others with more knowledge will chime in.

Reactions: Co_Diggs
A 3/4hp to 1hp pump would serve you well. I just didn't see any dual speed or VS ones, darn it.

As to the sand filter, I'd suggest a 250 pounds of sand filter for that size pool as it allows for re-use if you ever decide to enlarge the pool.

Best installs use PVC piping instead of flexible pipes. A good sturdy equipment pad base is a good start, and plan to put it on the far side of the pool if possible so that's it not the first thing seen in your yard.

I would never suggest pump/filter combos. From what I've seen here they are often small and inadequate. They're more often used with those small entry level type pools. A 13,000 gallon pool is *not* a small entry level pool! :party:

Good choice to go SWG too. Have you ordered your test kit (to include a salt test kit) yet? www.tftestkits.net

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies guys! Ok PVC and a good equipment base, I am getting my check list in order f.or sure

Also I was thinking about getting the kits early too but I was concerned if I was starting too early didn't know if that stuff expires or anything, I plan to have the pool in place by memorial day.

Order it about a week to a week and a half before Memorial Day. Then you can run a set of tests on your fill water to determine what it looks like and what needs you might have to tweak it. Don't go buying a mess of chemicals till we see what you *actually* need per the test results.

You'll need:
Salt -per your SWG manual it will tell you how much salt in ppm you need, then you use PoolMath to tell you how many pounds of salt = x ppm. Comes usually in 40# bags. Plain solar salt or water conditioner salt is fine as long as its 99.7% or better pure. No additives. No Clorox brand (has been found to contain metals).

Liquid Chlorine- You'll use this from day one to get your pool FC up to speed, then after having added your salt and waiting a day for it to dissolve and mix in, you'll turn your SWG on and let it *maintain* the FC level that you've got via liquid chlorine.

CYA aka Stabilizer- you'll need this to protect your FC from the sun's rays. Again, using PoolMath it will tell you how many ounces or pounds to use.

That's all! :party:

Down the road you *may* need muriatic acid to lower your pH but don't buy it until needed that first time. Get that at Lowes in the paint section. Anything else you may need you can pick up if a problem develops.

Reactions: Co_Diggs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, so here's the setup I am looking at so far, wanted to run it by the experts.

Pentair - OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Twist-Lock Cord, 115V

Pentair - 145367 Sand Dollar SD70 1-1/2" Top Mount Sand Filter

Looking at these two SWGs
Saltron - Salt Chlorination System for Above Ground Pools Up to 20,000 Gallons

SOLAXX SALTRON RETRO SALTWATER CHLORINE GENERATOR SALRET20A

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.