Which design do you like better?

Apr 8, 2017
houston texas
All three are pretty similiar. We have had option 1 the entire time and as I look at the photo me i see Wasted space between the hot tub and the steps on option 1. The idea of the pool being wide is i could Have a “basketball lane”. However the waterfall/slide doesn’t get access to the “basketball lane” - the lane i am Referring to is the space between the table and the sun deck.

option 1 is done by my designer. Options / and 3 is just me adjusting in power point so some items might be slightly off.
All options are roughly 26’ wide x 45’ long (all options are exact same size just moving puzzle pieces around

option 1) this is the current design. I worry there might be some wasted space

1618806235891.png

Option 2) moving pieces around. Adding a second table for symmetry. I think Option 1 might look better but this might give more swim lane/useable space

1618806252061.png

option 3) same thing as 2, just added a second set of stairs so people don’t have to go to the sun deck to get out

1618806270215.png

Reactions: Snoobug and imrodee
I like option 2 simply because of the swim & play area created. Not only for basketball but also good swim lane from end to end.
I am not a big fan of swim up bar or a table - that is just me - you may want to look at some other threads that have incorporated that. I would remove the tables but leave the full length bench between the spa and the tanning deck. I think you find that some younger kids (those just learning to swim) will enjoy that space between the spa and tanning deck without having to be in the main body of the pool. You can set up umbrellas on the side of the pool as well.
I do not think you need the extra steps as shown in option 3. The one set by the tanning deck will be good for the older folks as kids will jump out most anywhere.

Reactions: jdoghaf
Thank you for the feedback.

why no number 1 votes? As mentioned that is what we have now, and what might be the better “looking” option.
I go Back and forth all the time about changing the design as I just want it to be perfect, and most of the time we always come back to the original design (number 1). If we change it for good just wanting to make sure that’s the right move.

our dig is slotted for 7 days out.

One other question - we are doing owner builder. If we decide to make this change, do i need To go back to my designer and have them make the change (would rather not do that) or can i just estimate some of these dimensions and give that to the excavator to go off of?

#2 is the best use of the space overall. It has a "swim lane" from one end of the pool to the other, as well as a good space for the basketball hoop usage

#1 & #3 someone WILL get hurt on those steps while playing basketball. Them sticking out like that is just an accident waiting to happen.

I would also remove that small bench by the slide as that is another accident waiting to happen if someone comes off the slide wrong.

Another vote for option 2. I like the spa tucked in a corner if it's on the short ends of the pool, just gives you more space for other things.

For a change of moving the spa, if you were here, you would likely need a permit revision before your steel inspection. Moving steps and such is probably not a big deal, but that is a structural change and would need to be addressed with our local permitting agencies. If you want to avoid that, stick with option 1, remove the bench in front of the spa for safety and it should work. As kimkats mentions, I would also remove the part of the bench that protrudes toward the slide.

Another random thought is that I would likely try to add an alternate couple of steps to your slide directly from the deck. If you have people lounging/playing on the tanning ledge, it may get cluttered with people going back and forth to the slide.

Another vote for option 2. I like the spa tucked in a corner if it's on the short ends of the pool, just gives you more space for other things.

For a change of moving the spa, if you were here, you would likely need a permit revision before your steel inspection. Moving steps and such is probably not a big deal, but that is a structural change and would need to be addressed with our local permitting agencies. If you want to avoid that, stick with option 1, remove the bench in front of the spa for safety and it should work. As kimkats mentions, I would also remove the part of the bench that protrudes toward the slide.

Another random thought is that I would likely try to add an alternate couple of steps to your slide directly from the deck. If you have people lounging/playing on the tanning ledge, it may get cluttered with people going back and forth to the slide.

thank you for the feedback.
Our county doesn’t require permits. So me going back to the designer would be more for excavation contractor to have very specific dimensions. Thoughts?

The reason i have The waterfall slide steps on the sun deck is to try to prevent any slipping or running. You slide, swim over, go up to sun deck snd get on slide so you stay in pool entire time.

I lean to Option #2 as well, but was wondering why 2&3 have the basketball goal on the short end of the pool? I have never played basketball in a pool, but which would be better for a game, length or width of play area?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I lean to Option #2 as well, but was wondering why 2&3 have the basketball goal on the short end of the pool? I have never played basketball in a pool, but which would be better for a game, length or width of play area?

width there on the short end will be good and it will be nicely tucked out of the way.

Does anyone make volleyball nets where the poles can extend beyond 26' as that is the width of my pool?

I was honestly expecting alot of votes for number 1 as typically when i try to make design changes the consensus is the first/original design was better. curious why no number 1 picks?

width there on the short end will be good and it will be nicely tucked out of the way.

Does anyone make volleyball nets where the poles can extend beyond 26' as that is the width of my pool?

I was honestly expecting alot of votes for number 1 as typically when i try to make design changes the consensus is the first/original design was better. curious why no number 1 picks?
I got my volleyball poles and net from here - good quality. I believe they will customize whatever you need.
www.coolpoolproducts.com

I prefer option #5. I don't prefer option #1 due to the reduced area of the main shallow end. Though I would nix the table because of my fear that it will not work well with a robot (i.e. get stuck). Also, it's not common to see a shelf in the deep end. Maybe because of the fact that little ones like to play on them and having them in close proximity to deep water is a concern?

The one with single table - if you must have the table!! :)
I agree on this one. I had not considered it before as I really have never considered an in ground pool due to cost, but as bmoreswim stated I would also wonder about that shelf near the deep water. I have 3 boys and if they could get into trouble (not intentionally most of the time) they would. Grandkids seem to be the same way, and let's face it, it only takes a short amount of time for something terrible to happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.