Where to set SWG at

cd,

My pool is covered but I get similar weather to you. My swg is set to add 1.2 ppm and still FC is rising so I'm reducing run time down again when we get home. Suspect I'll be down much closer to Allen's min soon. As Allen pointed out there are a lot of things that determine your pool's FC requirement and it changes through the year. You're really getting up to speed now and as you go you're "getting to know your pool". I didn't realize what Kim meant when she first used this term with me 5 years ago. But it's definitely true that you get to know your pool... they almost have personality!

Happy holidays,

Chris

Reactions: carnivalday
So adjusting can be done on a daily basis? If I tweak the SWG I can actually get a new reading the next day? (this is great info).

You can adjust the SWG output every day but that is unnecessary work. On a cloudy day or a few cloudy days your pool will get less sun and consume less chlorine. If you see the FC rising and turn down the SWG then you will not be prepared for the sunny days that come. Those day to day variations will average themselves out and you don’t need to react every day to small FC variations.

Your SWG may need adjusting once or twice a week while you are getting it dialed in. Then you may find it needs adjustment once a month or less.

AND this is where your logs will come in handy! You will learn what your pool needs different times of the year-now (winter in FL)=less FC. Spring=a little more, Summer=the most of all, Fall=same as Spring. I am VERY careful in the Spring as I tend to get lazy in the winter about adding chlorine to raise the FC..............as the water temp starts going up the FC demand will also go up.

:hug: to Chris! He will be the one that really knows YOUR pool's needs as he is so close to you with a very similar set up. I remember the great pleasure I had teaching him how to care for his pool. He was just like you are.....VERY eager to learn and listened and asked questions to make sure he understood!

Kim:kim:

So adjusting can be done on a daily basis? If I tweak the SWG I can actually get a new reading the next day? (this is great info).

CD,

You can adjust your SWCG on a daily basis, but it is not at all necessary. I adjust my SWCG about 6 times a year... A few times at the beginning of the season and a few times at the end of the season.

You should think of pool care like a game of hand-grenades, not darts.. Hitting the bulls eye is not at all necessary.. There is no penalty for keeping your FC a little on the high side, so I just make sure it does not get too low.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This thread is great, so much info here. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are all great teachers. I really cant believe how much I understand now, and if I dont know something, I now know where to look. I will refer back here over and over. ❤❤❤❤❤

Reactions: ajw22
Here is the math for your spreadsheet...

Your cell will generate 12 ppm of FC if run at 100% 24 hours a day in your 9200 gallon pool. Reduce the 12 ppm by the % you reduce cell generation and by the % you run run your pump less than 24 hours a day.

Run the SWG at 50% and pump at 12 hours a day that is 12ppm * .5 * .5 = 3 ppm FC a day.

Check my calculations here. So if I run the SWG at 50% and the pump at 6 hours, that would be 12ppm x .5 x .25 = 1.5 ppm FC a day. Right?

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rich,

For a standard chlorine pool a CYA of 70 means a target of 8 to 10

But.. the OP has a saltwater pool.. If you scroll down you will see the SWCG chart.. With a SWCG pool a CYA of 70 has a target of 5..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since my FC was 8.8 the other day, I dropped my run time on my pump to 10 hrs instead of 12, as I didnt want to make any big moves. Checked FC today and its 11.5! Guess the SWG is doing its job. I dropped it down to 6 hrs at 50%. From the prior posts that should give me 1.5 ppm per day. Is that still too much? It was nice and sunny today, but its certainly not a hot sun. About 75 degrees today. From what I understand the FC being so high means I cant test for pH? Ill give the pool a full 24 hours at the new setting and test again tomorrow. Am I on the right track here?

I would suspect your pool is using 0.5 ppm FC per day or less. Just turn the SWCG off for a few days and check.

It is best to wait until your FC is 10 ppm or below prior to checking the pH.

I suspect you can lower your SWCG down to 0% setting, correct? Do that. Let the pump run normally.

I dont have an owners manual (Im sure I can look it up online) but it would take me all the way to page 20 to learn how to turn it off? Id be in trouble then. Edited to add: Just looked up the owners manual, boy thats handy. I downloaded it, thanks!

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.