Where does PH come from?

How do I know if I’m adding 30 ppm of chlorine stabilizer? I suck at math sorry.

For a 600 gallon pool, you will only need 3.1 oz of 10% liquid chlorine to increase FC by 4 ppm.

For CYA, you only need to add 2.5 oz
Pool Math is a bit of a challenge to set up. Try out the Old PoolMath Webpage and see if it's easier to use. It will show additions of chemicals by volume in addition to weight.

For CYA, the 2.5 oz is by volume. Just use a measuring cup and pour the CYA into a sock.

Reactions: Shy
We use Pool Math to estimate chemical additions... PoolMath
In a post above Rancho estimated your pool volume at 600 gallons, is that correct? If so he also calculated your stabilizer and chlorine additions.
Measure the pH of your fresh water and post the result. Besides Chlorine what else can you test now?
I think PH looks good.

Attachments

• 9DE33F52-F227-4F12-BE05-35283B7D81DA.jpeg
    9DE33F52-F227-4F12-BE05-35283B7D81DA.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 12
We use Pool Math to estimate chemical additions... PoolMath
In a post above Rancho estimated your pool volume at 600 gallons, is that correct? If so he also calculated your stabilizer and chlorine additions.
Measure the pH of your fresh water and post the result. Besides Chlorine what else can you test number
I have a 6 way test strip and the OTO test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For daily maintenance, use your OTO kit to check chlorine levels. Most show a color range up to 5 ppm. When you dose chlorine each day, that's the color you want to match. You'll probably need 2 to 3 oz of 10% chlorine daily to maintain FC at 4 to 5 ppm.

For daily maintenance, use your OTO kit to check chlorine levels. Most show a color range up to 5 ppm. When you dose chlorine each day, that's the color you want to match. You'll probably need 2 to 3 oz of 10% chlorine daily to maintain FC at 4 to 5 ppm.
Ok thank you. My PH levels without Chlorine is this a pass?

Attachments

• D9C9FB7E-3787-4436-A055-FA31DE72468A.jpeg
    D9C9FB7E-3787-4436-A055-FA31DE72468A.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 13
Ok thank you. My PH levels without Chlorine is this a pass?
PH looks good. You may need to add a bit muriatic acid or dry acid if the level rises beyond 8.0. You may notice a drop in pH with the addition of CYA. Test again after the CYA is fully dissolved and mixed.

Ok thank you. Is there a substitute for muriatic acid?
Yes...dry acid (sodium bisulfate). It's sold as pH down or just "dry acid." It's not a bad option, compared to muriatic acid, for small seasonal pools. You may not even need it. You can keep some on hand or just wait until you actually need it. As time permits, here is some light reading...

Be sure to check your FC every day and bring it up to 4-5ppm. You will be surprised how fast your FC will drop with several kids in a small pool. Fortunately a small pool only requires small amounts of chlorine and if the water quality gets away from you it's easy and inexpensive to drain, refill and start over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.