When to SLAM?

Ma,

Unless you have algae, you should never have to SLAM... Unlike throwing in a few bags of shock every week or so, you should never have to SLAM if you start off algae free and stay that way by using the TFP pool care process..

I often shy away from SLAM questions because I have no first-hand experience.. I have three TFP pools, that have been algae free for a combined total of over 20 years. I did start with fresh water, but I have never added any weekly bags of "Shock" or any other magic pool-store algae killing chemicals. Chlorine, CYA and a little Muriatic Acid is about all I use.

I doubt I will ever get over my SLAM shyness, as I never intend to let algae win.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ma,

Unless you have algae, you should never have to SLAM... Unlike throwing in a few bags of shock every week or so, you should never have to SLAM if you start off algae free and stay that way by using the TFP pool care process..

I often shy away from SLAM questions because I have no first-hand experience.. I have three TFP pools, that have been algae free for a combined total of over 20 years. I did start with fresh water, but I have never added any weekly bags of "Shock" or any other magic pool-store algae killing chemicals. Chlorine, CYA and a little Muriatic Acid is about all I use.

I doubt I will ever get over my SLAM shyness, as I never intend to let algae win.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Great, yes I’m starting out with fresh tile and plaster next week. I will be following this forums guidelines with the help of the pool math app.

Reading all these SLAM posts started to worry me a little that it was going to be needed on a regular basis. Thanks again Jim

Reading all these SLAM posts started to worry me a little that it was going to be needed on a regular basis
Oh goodness no. Stick to the program and you’ll probably never need to SLAM. Last winter I did everything right but there were so many warm weeks during closing that i opened to a swamp anyway. The weather bit me, not the program. The program gave me the tools to clear it in 36 hours. To be fair i drained half of the pool and only had to battle the other half, but I still fought 17.5k gallons.

Any other time and the TFP method will give you plenty of warning when you need to slightly change something long before it spirals out of control. Until you know it backwards and forwards there are plenty of folks to guide you. Soon enough you’ll be helping too. We got you until then :)

Ma,

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m the same!! Never had to SLAM (yet!!!) since I do so much preventative stuff. I probably just jinxed myself for this upcoming season. 😑

I jumped right into a SLAM, since I took over a pool that had been ignored for four years. Major swamp, complete with wildlife. Once that was done, I didn't have to do anything other than maintenance (regular chlorine, occasional acid) for the rest of the season. Once or twice I slipped a bit, neglecting routine testing and addition of chlorine, but never enough to cause a problem. I just brought the chlorine up and smacked myself upside the head and told myself not to do it again.

Most of the SLAM posts are from new members, or those who don't follow the TFP program. Get your own test kit, follow the instructions in Pool School, and you should never need to SLAM outside of extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: MA5177
I jumped right into a SLAM, since I took over a pool that had been ignored for four years. Major swamp, complete with wildlife. Once that was done, I didn't have to do anything other than maintenance (regular chlorine, occasional acid) for the rest of the season. Once or twice I slipped a bit, neglecting routine testing and addition of chlorine, but never enough to cause a problem. I just brought the chlorine up and smacked myself upside the head and told myself not to do it again.

Most of the SLAM posts are from new members, or those who don't follow the TFP program. Get your own test kit, follow the instructions in Pool School, and you should never need to SLAM outside of extenuating circumstances.
Curious... why didn’t you just drain and start over?

Draining a vinyl liner pool or AG pool like @CrystalRiver has is not recommended. The liner can shift and the pool can be damaged. The water in the pool supports the pool walls.

I could have done a partial drain and refill, which would have shortened the duration of SLAM but not eliminated it. However, I'm not the homeowner, and the homeowner did not want to drain at all. So I worked within my constraints. It just took more liquid chlorine and more time instead. If the weather cooperates (no surprise warm spells after winterizing or before I'm ready to open), it should never be an issue again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.