Bronze Supporter
May 12, 2021
Pensacola, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I just want to preface this thread with a shout out to the search function on this site and the great help that has already been provided by members here!

My pool has been up and running for about 5 weeks now, and for some reason my water levels were dropping 1/2" to 1" per day. Fast enough to think there might be a leak, but with this Florida heat and stronger than normal winds with daily showers, I was on the fence about evaporation also.

Long story short, I tried the bucket test on a few occasions but was still not 100% confident due to sporadic rains, wind, and splash out from my kids. I finally called the PB and asked if they could send out a leak detection crew to just ease my paranoia some. To my surprise, they had a sub out here within 4 hours to test for leaks. After a dye test they quickly found some (more than some) leakage around the seals in the main drains. He promptly put on his diving gear and went in and applied an epoxy around the affected areas.

As a precaution they also checked the skimmer/main lines and returns and didn't find any issues along the plumbing. After almost 48 hours, my water level has remained consistent with less than 3/4 inch loss. And more importantly, I'm not constantly checking CYA, CH, and Salt as they have stabilized dramatically.

I am posting as a reminder to all of us new owners of pools that being paranoid sometimes saves in the long run!

If your CYA and Salt level are going down as you need to add fill water it is more likely signs of a leak.

If CYA and especially salt levels are stable as you add fill water then the water loss is from evaporation.

Large amounts of CYA and salt are only lost through draining or a leak. Evaporation does not cause loss of CYA or salt.

Loss of Salt is a better indicator of a leak then CYA since CYA can degrade with high water temperatures.

If your CYA and Salt level are going down as you need to add fill water it is more likely signs of a leak.

If CYA and especially salt levels are stable as you add fill water then the water loss is from evaporation.

Large amounts of CYA and salt are only lost through draining or a leak. Evaporation does not cause loss of CYA or salt.

Loss of Salt is a better indicator of a leak then CYA since CYA can degrade with high water temperatures.
I was adding up to 1 inch of water per day, so dilution would cause all 3 to drop, or am I mistaken?

None of them were drastic, but enough to keep an eye on more than once or twice a month like others have mentioned here.

I doubt evaporation is that high in Florida given the humidity. I don't think it is that high even in Arizona which is hotter and drier.

You can get a rough estimate using an evaporation calculator to determine if your rates are reasonable or not:

I doubt evaporation is that high in Florida given the humidity. I don't think it is that high even in Arizona which is hotter and drier.

You can get a rough estimate using an evaporation calculator to determine if your rates are reasonable or not:

OH I totally agree...but I was worried about worse case scenario, the PB digging up my new deck and new SOD....LOL. But I'm glad I pulled the trigger on calling them...luck was on my side and it was an easy fix and about 20 minutes of diving for the leak detection guys.

Reactions: mas985
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.