When I try to replace my 3-way valve, water comes out of the bottom drain pipe

glanglois

Jul 8, 2022
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I bought a house recently and never had a pool before. This is an above ground pool with a bottom drain. The 3-way valve is cracked so not only does it leaks, but it takes in air which makes the pump not work properly. I purchased a 3-way valve, I have the necessary adapters and everything, but as soon as I try to unscrew the bottom pipe (which is the one for the bottom drain), water comes out and while I could try to juste change it as fast as possible, that's not exatly ideal since I'd like to make sure I install everything properly and not rush it.

Obviously, it's not really hard to understand why water is coming out since the pressure from the pool pushes the water down the drain... but how do I stop it?

Thank in advance and once again... sorry if this is basic stuff. I've never had a pool before and I didn't even purchase it myself. I came with the house and I'm learning as issues arise.

Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of the pipe and valve you are working on fixing so we can see your situation.

Can you stuff something like a potato or bread into the pipe to hold back the water while you replace the valve?

Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of the pipe and valve you are working on fixing so we can see your situation.

Can you stuff something like a potato or bread into the pipe to hold back the water while you replace the valve?
Here is a photo of the valve:

1657320064107.png

As soon as I unscrew the bottom one, water comes out and it's not just residual water in the pipe. It's actually the water from the bottom drain. I guess sticking something in it would work while I remove the teflon tape and install some new one, but then when I'll have to screw in the new valve, water is still gonna splash everywhere.

I don't have a photo of the drain, but it's a drain like this that goes under the pool and comes out through the 3-way valve from the bottom pipe.

1657320396594.png

I guess if it's the only solution, I'll make it work that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.