What's your current pool temp?

With a crappy cold summer, temps upper 70's low - mid 80's pretty much all August and into September, the pool stays at a constant 88-92 degrees, depending on how sunny it is outside. Spending on the auto cover and no the heater was the best decision we've made!

Sent from my iPad using Tapawhat?

The cover is solid dark green (zodiac cover pools). At first (this is our first summer with the pool), we were only closing at night but keeping it opened during the day, I found that with the mild temps outside even with direct sunlight, it does not heat ip the pool as much as with the cover on as the sun really heats up the vinyl and therefore the water. So now we keep the cover on during the day, opening when we're ready to swim. As we speak my temp is at 88 right now, with the outside temp of 80. Was 86 around 11am, so around 2 degree gain in about 5 hours with a cover all all day and not the best sun conditions either.

Azmp1 said:
I found that with the mild temps outside even with direct sunlight, it does not heat ip the pool as much as with the cover on as the sun really heats up the vinyl and therefore the water. So now we keep the cover on during the day, opening when we're ready to swim. As we speak my temp is at 88 right now, with the outside temp of 80. Was 86 around 11am, so around 2 degree gain in about 5 hours with a cover all all day and not the best sun conditions either.
That is a bit surprising. Typically an opaque pool cover does not do much to heat up a pool during the day since it blocks most of the suns heating of the bulk pool water and the conductive heating from the cover is minimal. Leaving a cover on during the day is a good idea when ambient temp is low, cloudy skies, shade, low ambient humidity, and/or higher winds. However, the devil is in the details for each specific setup as too when/if having cover on/off is good/bad :lol: How much sun does the pool get?

I hear you, and that's was my exact thoughts as well that's why initially I would keep the cover opened during the day, however, even with the hottest days in July with temps hitting 100's the warmest I've gotten the water was 91 with the open pool and now I can consistently keep the temps at high 80's and even hitting low 90's with the temps outside not needing to be anywhere near that.
The pool gets about 8 hours on average of a good sunlight.
Most my friends with no heaters already closed their pools, I'm planning to take it to at least the end of September as long as the temps stay in the mid 70's

Azmp1 said:
Most my friends with no heaters already closed their pools, I'm planning to take it to at least the end of September as long as the temps stay in the mid 70's
We typically recommend not to close until the pool is consistently below 60F and open before it gets consistently above 60F to minimize the amount of spring clean up.

OK... i just bought a new solar cover... it's been a couple year but it was only $47, delivered, for a 21 round.

Now maybe I can get my wife in the pool. The pool has been 82 lately and the water is too cold for her. Maybe I can get it warm enough for her and extend my season. It tends to take a while for the water to get down into the 60's like Linen's comment suggests. The air temps are hot this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Typically an opaque pool cover does not do much to heat up a pool during the day since it blocks most of the suns heating of the bulk pool water and the conductive heating from the cover is minimal.
That's true for a bubble-type cover that is well insulating, but for an automatic pool cover it's thin vinyl and only about half as insulating as a bubble-type cover. I have such an opaque electric safety cover and while it eliminates the losses from evaporation, I still get losses from conduction. The cover usually feels nearly as warm as the water it is covering and when the sun is hitting the cover it's very warm to the touch but not as hot as it would be if not conducting. I know that when we changed from a light tan cover to a dark blue cover, we now get additional heating beyond our solar, but only a couple of degrees. However, that may be because most of the gain is already from the solar. I'm just surprised that an opaque cover gets more than around 5ºF gain from average day/night temps (a bubble-type better insulating clear cover typically gets 10-15ºF higher).

I am at a measly 70 degrees but I did get my legs in there today as the temps went to 88 here. Our last few wvenings have gone 50 and below but today was like summer all over again and tomorrow the same. Hoping to get all the way in tomorrow.

Well got all the way into the pool yesterday. It was humid and 90 here. Pool temp up to 76 top and 72 bottom of pool. Did not matter it was to hot to stay out.
Today rainy and humid. Supposed to go into 50's by tomorrow but I am holding out closing my pool as we have yet to have Indian Summer. Perhaps by mid Oct I will give in. :-(

connie said:
Well got all the way into the pool yesterday. It was humid and 90 here. Pool temp up to 76 top and 72 bottom of pool. Did not matter it was to hot to stay out.
Today rainy and humid. Supposed to go into 50's by tomorrow but I am holding out closing my pool as we have yet to have Indian Summer. Perhaps by mid Oct I will give in. :-(
I would wait to close until the pool is consistently below 60F (I usually wait until I am consistently below 55), and open before 60F which will help keep spring cleanup to a minimum.

We went in last night, pool was 80F but the air temp dropped to the low 50s last night and is supposed to hit low 40s tomorrow...I too am hoping for some Indian summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.