What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
So we've given the task of cleaning out the skimmer baskets to our daughters, ages 9 and 12, as a way for them to contribute to the maintenance of our new pool. :) Their first time did not go so well... besides the pollen/leaves/debris of a rainstorm, there were huge spiders, beetles, and a dead frog... not a big deal really, but I guess they really don't like seeing dead things...

A how-to-clean-your-skimmer youtube video said that it's also possible to find dead rodents, snakes, etc... so just wondering what other things we should be prepared to find in these baskets??

I finally killed the black widow that has been hanging out in our skimmer throat last Sunday. The best thing ever in my pool was a water moccasin but, it wasn't in the skimmer so that doesn't count. :-D

Right around Easter, many years ago, we found a near-dead baby bunny in the skimmer. The air temperature was cold and the pool temp was VERY cold. I didnt think it would live through the night. The kids brought it in, warmed it up with fresh towels from the clothes dryer and fed it. They built a little 'home' for it and slept near it that night. It was really cute. The next day, it was fine and we set it free. Now, every Easter they talk about the little bunny :)

I usually have voles, frogs, and spiders.
Found this guy last year. I thought the kids put a rock in the skimmer.
e5809fecf783b756f97271dc3706dd9e.jpg

I find one or two of these little guys each year.
a1fc80955091b0004d88dfb4ba6faf6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This thread makes me really appreciate the fact that I have an above-ground pool. Worst thing I catch is wasps.

Nothing more than some bugs. Lots of bugs (beattles, lady bugs) sometimes. One of my dog's furry toys was in there one time. Scared the you-know-what out of me. But I've heard horror stories. There are some things you can get to attach to your skimmer baskets to make them easier to pull out without having to stick you hand down in there. But I use skimmer socks on my baskets so they don't work for me. So I invested in this hook that I can use to pull the baskets out without my hands getting too close.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034DZ0GO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of spiders, frogs, a dead fledgling bird and this:

View attachment 58459

Also found this on one occasion. Looked like some critter had been for a dip and left a water trail after climbing up the ladder. I have no idea what it was...

View attachment 58460

Now I'm going to have nightmares.

I love these threads, it inevitably reminds me of the MLM "mostly liquid mouse" thread a while back. I'm pretty diligent about cleaning things out, but I hear my neighbor complaining about MLF "mostly liquid frogs" all the time. :) :) :) He doesn't call them that, but in my mind that's what I hear.

The big frogs shoot out of the skimmer when I open it... gets me EVERY stinking time.

I check my skimmer, twice a day. So almost everything I find is still alive. I love to just walk around the pool and admire the water. It's not like it takes that long and I love the idea of rescuing things when I can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.