What's the worst thing you've found in your skimmer baskets?

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
So we've given the task of cleaning out the skimmer baskets to our daughters, ages 9 and 12, as a way for them to contribute to the maintenance of our new pool. :) Their first time did not go so well... besides the pollen/leaves/debris of a rainstorm, there were huge spiders, beetles, and a dead frog... not a big deal really, but I guess they really don't like seeing dead things...

A how-to-clean-your-skimmer youtube video said that it's also possible to find dead rodents, snakes, etc... so just wondering what other things we should be prepared to find in these baskets??

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
DFW, TX
I finally killed the black widow that has been hanging out in our skimmer throat last Sunday. The best thing ever in my pool was a water moccasin but, it wasn't in the skimmer so that doesn't count. :-D

chawkins99

Mar 29, 2014
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Lots of spiders, frogs, a dead fledgling bird and this:

IMG_1232.jpg

Also found this on one occasion. Looked like some critter had been for a dip and left a water trail after climbing up the ladder. I have no idea what it was...

IMG_1489.jpg

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
Ugh... I guess we may have to reconsider this task then. Our dog kills gekkos/lizards and chases squirrels/bunnies all the time, so it may be just a matter of time before we find something similar in our skimmers!

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
A dead mouse a few months ago.

And peanut shells. Darn neighbor leaves them out and the squirrels and birds litter my yard with them.
I find them in the gutters too.

rmasonjr

Jan 31, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
Right around Easter, many years ago, we found a near-dead baby bunny in the skimmer. The air temperature was cold and the pool temp was VERY cold. I didnt think it would live through the night. The kids brought it in, warmed it up with fresh towels from the clothes dryer and fed it. They built a little 'home' for it and slept near it that night. It was really cute. The next day, it was fine and we set it free. Now, every Easter they talk about the little bunny :)

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
I usually have voles, frogs, and spiders.
Found this guy last year. I thought the kids put a rock in the skimmer.

I find one or two of these little guys each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuYuHu

Mar 7, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow, glad the bunny survived! I guess all the critters don't have much of a chance to escape the suction power of the skimmers. Almost makes me want to check the skimmers daily...

TexasDeano

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2015
Frisco, Texas
Nothing more than some bugs. Lots of bugs (beattles, lady bugs) sometimes. One of my dog's furry toys was in there one time. Scared the you-know-what out of me. But I've heard horror stories. There are some things you can get to attach to your skimmer baskets to make them easier to pull out without having to stick you hand down in there. But I use skimmer socks on my baskets so they don't work for me. So I invested in this hook that I can use to pull the baskets out without my hands getting too close.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034DZ0GO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of spiders, frogs, a dead fledgling bird and this:

View attachment 58459

Also found this on one occasion. Looked like some critter had been for a dip and left a water trail after climbing up the ladder. I have no idea what it was...

View attachment 58460
Now I'm going to have nightmares.

CaptainCannonball

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2016
Woodland, Ca
I love these threads, it inevitably reminds me of the MLM "mostly liquid mouse" thread a while back. I'm pretty diligent about cleaning things out, but I hear my neighbor complaining about MLF "mostly liquid frogs" all the time. :) :) :) He doesn't call them that, but in my mind that's what I hear.

The big frogs shoot out of the skimmer when I open it... gets me EVERY stinking time.

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
I check my skimmer, twice a day. So almost everything I find is still alive. I love to just walk around the pool and admire the water. It's not like it takes that long and I love the idea of rescuing things when I can.

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Just found one of my annual salamanders in the bottom of the pool. They always come out of the woods and into the pool after a good rain.