What Variable Speed Pool Pump do I need?

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I've been at the same house with a pool for 40 years.

Upgraded my pool pump there 5 or so years ago to a Intelliflo VF, which I've been very happy with. No extra features, like spa or solar just a pool.

Getting remarried, moving to fiancee's house, she has a inground pool, about 14,000 gallons, with spa, and solar. It has a 1hp pump. Would like to replace her pump with a Variable Speed Pump. Folks in another thread suggested NOT to get the VF model, but get the VS. Is this the one you would suggest? https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-Performance-Horsepower/dp/B007E4VWNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500740658&sr=8-1&keywords=intelliflo+pool+pump

Any other thoughts on other brands such as Hayward?

Also, I plan to Automate the pool, perhaps with something like Pentair's EasyTouch or IntelliTouch. Or a different brand, if needs to match pump, and perhaps a SWG, and a pool light.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Right, the VS is best as it is speed based and does not have as complex a controller. Fewer things to go wrong. And the RPM of the pump is all you really need to adjust as it is relative to the flow based on head, etc.

I have the full Pentair suite, Easytouch, 3050VS, and an IC40. Really easy to manage. Others on the forum have added the Screenlogic to adjust via electronic device.

Hayward has many of the same items.

Take care.

Jeff,

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy and like to say the IntelliFlo is the "gold standard" of pool pumps. The other brand pumps are almost as good... :p

I think I said this in your last post... just make sure that the Pump, the SWCG, and Automation system are all the same brand so that they can communicate with each other..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm also a Pentair fan, and the Intelliflo 011018 is a great choice. There are smaller and cheaper VS pumps, but with a spa and solar that's the one I would go with. BTW: That is a great price for that pump and if you use Amazon Smile you can donate to the forum with your purchase.

Ride,

I trust a lot of the people on these boards. But, go back to you link and click on "reviews". The first 4 reviews slam this pump. Also, if you install this yourself [which many on here are good DIY'ers) or seek help from the good folks on here, the warranty is only good for 90days. It states Pentair will only warranty the product for 3 yrs if a licensed electrician installed it, and you keep the install receipt, pump receipt and register pump on-line and upload all the receipts too. After about 4 negative reviews, then the reviews get good. I believe no matter what you buy, you are going to have +'s and -'s in reviews, just find something that you can live with.

Finally, whatever you do buy and you do plan on moving towards full automation, definitely procure all the same type of strategic equipment [pumps, automation controller, SWG/etc] while non controlled things [filtering sytems] you can go any way you want.

Good luck

Yes, they are all doing that. I bought mine online and got a full warranty. Pentair is not specific about what "professional installed" means. If you submit a receipt for install from a plumber, pool service company, electrician, or any other related business, they should register your warranty. That's what I did. So if you've got a friend in any related business, for a few beers you might get him to check your work and give you a receipt.

When doing an install there are two things I highly suggest.
1. Buy and use a set of unions. It makes it go easier, insures a much better seal at the pump, since they seal to the pump body with O-rings. The Pentair brand ones are a bit expensive, but you can find the same thing cheaper without branding.
Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Garden

2. Install whole house surge protection. I added a larger one at my main house panel and a small one at my pool panel. The VS pumps are very susceptible to damage from power surges. That's the most common cause of failure. It cost me less tha $150 for both surge protectors and a couple hours to install.
https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-CHSPT2ULTRA-Surge-Protection-3Rd/dp/B01AQAKRSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500760079&sr=8-1&keywords=eaton+ultra+surge+protector
https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-SDSA1175-Protective/dp/B0052DMIUK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1500760167&sr=8-15&keywords=whole+house+surge+protector

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.