What should I do now?


Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017

I am new to the forum and ordered a test kit a week ago, but the delivery is slow and I should get it next week hopefully.
In the meantime, I went to the pool store:)rolleyes:) as I wanted to know what my water was at, the test strips I use now were giving inconsistent result, and I knew they performed water tests.

I expected about zero FC and very low CYA (I only used two 200g trichlor tabs before knowing about TFP).

The results are the following :

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
TA 65
PH 6.4
CH 15
CYA 153+ (out of scale ?)

The test is a BAYROL digital thing, hooked to a computer in the store (France).

I should add that the previous owner of the house used some kind of tab ( trichlor I guess) once a week for the entire life of the pool (his saying)
The last season, the pool was left unattended, and when I moved in in October, I only drained about 1/3 of the water and made sure the pipes were empty. I didn't add anything until the opening this spring.

I am also confused by the fact that at the opening, the Cya level on my test strips (aquacheck Yellow) was 0, and after raising the Ph a little and adding the two tabs I mentionned, I actually am out of the scale, way above 100.

So my question is, Is the test from the store reliable? if so the cya level of my pool was high from the beginning and the test strips deserve their bad reputation, and I should start the drain now.

Or should I wait for my K2006C kit to arrive, run a full test and then see what has to be done?

Thanks guys !


Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

I would just wait for the new test kit. The pool store results my not be perfect, but I doubt they are off by 100%, so based upon the history I suspect that your CYA is quite high.

It would not hurt to put in two jugs of 8.25% plain (not scented or splash-less) bleach or equivalent liquid chlorine to keep anything from growing..


Jim R.


Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Ok thanks for the advices,

I received my kit yesterday :)D) and the results are worse than I expected:)(), my CYA seems between 250 and 300, maybe more...

I will drain it this week-end, and if I can I will try the Tarp method, we'll see how it goes. I don't have a tarp big enough, but trying to keep the new water isolated from the rest may help.

I'll come back with pictures if I don't forget