What settings for new Pentair Intelliflo VSF pump

P.

Thanks for the pics... I got what I need and will get right back to you.

While you wait... Check to see if your cell has any lights when the pump is not running.. A good way to to that is put the system in the Service mode at the main panel.. All the lights on the cell should be off...

We are going to try and do two things.. One is to set up a Circuit to run the pump at XXXX speed.. The other is to set up the spillway mode..

We will do one at a time.

I need you to tell me what your normal schedule looks like now.. An example.. Pump starts at 8 and runs at 1200 rpm until 10 am, at 10 am the speed increase to 2000 rpm until 2 pm. Etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

In theory, you should have at least 4 speeds setup in your EasyTouch right now.. One for each of the following Circuits..

Pool
Spa
Cleaner
Waterfall

I need you to use the little LCD and confirm what you have now..

Push Menu twice..
Scroll down to Settings and Select settings
Scroll down to IntelliFlo and Select IntelliFlo
You should see the first page of your speeds.. It will say 1/8 (Maybe 1/4 in older units) This just means that you are looking at the first page out of 4 or 8 pages.

The top of the page shows the page number as in 1/8
Then it should show the speed as in xxxx rpm
Then it should show the Circuit this speed is assigned to.. such as "Pool"

This mean that when the Pool Circuit is on, the pump should run at xxxx rpm

I need you to tell me what Speeds are currently assigned to what Circuits... At this point you will not be changing anything...

Let me know what you get..

Thanks,

Jim R.

P.

Thanks for the pics... I got what I need and will get right back to you.

While you wait... Check to see if your cell has any lights when the pump is not running.. A good way to to that is put the system in the Service mode at the main panel.. All the lights on the cell should be off...

We are going to try and do two things.. One is to set up a Circuit to run the pump at XXXX speed.. The other is to set up the spillway mode..

We will do one at a time.

I need you to tell me what your normal schedule looks like now.. An example.. Pump starts at 8 and runs at 1200 rpm until 10 am, at 10 am the speed increase to 2000 rpm until 2 pm. Etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Right now, I have the pool pump running from 8am-5pm at 2000 RPMs. This in the skimmers, and the spillway. 9am-12pm is the cleaner(Pressure side) and the pool pump ramps up to 2750 to help with the cleaner, and get the skimmers pulling harder, and the jets pushing. The spillway is also running at that time. The cleaner does have a booster pump.
The salt cell is wired to only come on when the main pump is on

Right now, I have the pool pump running from 8am-5pm at 2000 RPMs. This in the skimmers, and the spillway. 9am-12pm is the cleaner(Pressure side) and the pool pump ramps up to 2750 to help with the cleaner, and get the skimmers pulling harder, and the jets pushing. The spillway is also running at that time. The cleaner does have a booster pump.
The pool runs at 2000 RPMs, the Spa/Heater runs at 2250, and the cleaner at 2750. The waterfall has its own 2 HP pump

P,

It does not look like it, as the transformer is wired to the hot side of the relay.. But.. as long as the cell lights are off in the Service mode you are good.

So how do you envision your new schedule?? Did you use the SWCG last year?? Was 9 hours long enough to generate the chlorine you needed?

If Pool speed is lowered to say 1500, and the cleaner stays the same at 2750, what speed to you want to setup for just skimming??

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

It does not look like it, as the transformer is wired to the hot side of the relay.. But.. as long as the cell lights are off in the Service mode you are good.

So how do you envision your new schedule?? Did you use the SWCG last year?? Was 9 hours long enough to generate the chlorine you needed?

If Pool speed is lowered to say 1500, and the cleaner stays the same at 2750, what speed to you want to setup for just skimming??

Thanks,

Jim R.
During the really times, no the SWCG was not able to keep up, and I had to supplement with liquid chlorine. As far as the skimmers, I would think that 2500 would be enough, with out the spillway. But my wife likes the way the spillway looks and sounds, so I would probably like to leave that on. I mean, whatever you think would work the best. This is all new to me. The schedule I had before was very simple, and of course, I only had the single speed pump.

During the really times, no the SWCG was not able to keep up, and I had to supplement with liquid chlorine. As far as the skimmers, I would think that 2500 would be enough, with out the spillway. But my wife likes the way the spillway looks and sounds, so I would probably like to leave that on. I mean, whatever you think would work the best. This is all new to me. The schedule I had before was very simple, and of course, I only had the single speed pump.
Meant to say during the really hot times

It it were my pool, this is what I would do:

Pool - Runs 24/7 at the lowest RPM needed to produce chlorine and skim, turn the spillover off during this. Hopefully that is 1,200 or lower. Determine this by watching your flow sensor on your SWCG, and also watching your weir door to make sure you have enough suction in the skimmer to keep that from closing. Also, since you will be producing chlorine 24/7, it should keep up in the heat of the summer, and also be able to run at lower % at other times of the year.
Higher Skim/Spillover - Schedule a period of time each day with a slightly higher RPM and have the spillover running during this time if you like it. Start with 1,600 RPMs and play around with that to get your right number.
Cleaner - Schedule your cleaner and booster to come on, you can also decide if the spillover is on/off during this time. I have no ideas on this one, but I would imagine this would be higher RPMs than your spillover above.
Spa - Whatever RPMs work for your spa. This one would not be scheduled to come on, only used when you use the spa. Mine is set to 2,400 RPMs.

It it were my pool, this is what I would do:

Pool - Runs 24/7 at the lowest RPM needed to produce chlorine and skim, turn the spillover off during this. Hopefully that is 1,200 or lower. Determine this by watching your flow sensor on your SWCG, and also watching your weir door to make sure you have enough suction in the skimmer to keep that from closing. Also, since you will be producing chlorine 24/7, it should keep up in the heat of the summer, and also be able to run at lower % at other times of the year.
Higher Skim/Spillover - Schedule a period of time each day with a slightly higher RPM and have the spillover running during this time if you like it. Start with 1,600 RPMs and play around with that to get your right number.
Cleaner - Schedule your cleaner and booster to come on, you can also decide if the spillover is on/off during this time. I have no ideas on this one, but I would imagine this would be higher RPMs than your spillover above.
Spa - Whatever RPMs work for your spa. This one would not be scheduled to come on, only used when you use the spa. Mine is set to 2,400 RPMs.
I just need to figure out how to make a setting/circuit name, or whatever that close the valve for the spillway. The spillway is overflow from the hot tub.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have an actuator on the spillover valve? It should be on the "Pool" side of your returns, even though that line goes to the spa, likely in the bottom of the spa.

I just need to figure out how to make a setting/circuit name, or whatever that close the valve for the spillway. The spillway is overflow from the hot tub.
Set up a Circuit calling it 'Spillway', use the Circuit Function, Spillway. Set the rpm you want for that Circuit. Schedule that Circuit for when you want it to run.

P,

I assume you have an IC40.. If so, are some facts...

An IC40 will produce enough chlorine to increase the FC in your pool by .38 ppm when run for 24 hours at 100%

Most pools use about 3 ppm or more in the middle of the summer.. So that would be 8 hours assuming your cell was set to 100% output.

How you run is up to you, but I would run for 12 hours a day.. Just as an example..

Pool Circuit runs from 8 am until 8 pm at 1500 rpm
Cleaner Circuit runs from 9 am to 12 noon at 2750 rpm.. just like now
New Skim Circuit runs from 1 pm until 4 pm at 2500 rpm..

The way this work is the pump will always run the fastest speed it is being told to run.. You will be producing chlorine for 12 hours each day..

If this looks good, I can walk you through setting it up... You can always change it later.

If your wife wants the constant spillover then there is no sense in setting up the spillway function.. Up to you... just let me know..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I have an actuator that is on the output. It sends about 30% to the spillway/hot tub, and the rest to the jets in the pool
If you set up a Spillway Circuit, you will need to adjust the cams in the actuator to fully close the valve when in Pool mode, and open fully in Spillway / Spa mode.

How do I get it to operate the actuated valve that controls the flow to the spillway?
The Spillway Circuit Function in the Easytouch knows to open the Spa Return and leave the Pool Suction valve as is.

You can make this happen manually from the Easytouch Screen. Press the Valves button to get to Spillway.

P,

I assume you have an IC40.. If so, are some facts...

An IC40 will produce enough chlorine to increase the FC in your pool by .38 ppm when run for 24 hours at 100%

Most pools use about 3 ppm or more in the middle of the summer.. So that would be 8 hours assuming your cell was set to 100% output.

How you run is up to you, but I would run for 12 hours a day.. Just as an example..

Pool Circuit runs from 8 am until 8 pm at 1500 rpm
Cleaner Circuit runs from 9 am to 12 noon at 2750 rpm.. just like now
New Skim Circuit runs from 1 pm until 4 pm at 2500 rpm..

The way this work is the pump will always run the fastest speed it is being told to run.. You will be producing chlorine for 12 hours each day..

If this looks good, I can walk you through setting it up... You can always change it later.

If your wife wants the constant spillover then there is no sense in setting up the spillway function.. Up to you... just let me know..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think I would like the spillway most of the day, but not the whole 12 hours...if she wants to hear water falling, she can turn on the water fall.

Is there anyway to use one of the unused buttons in the Easy Touch remote to setup as spillway?
Or better yet, maybe a way to set a button to run the skimmers, so let’s say we wanted to get in the pool in the afternoon or evening, and it was dirty. So we wanted to run it at the higher speed, but without the cleaner, because we would take that out of the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.