kawisser

Sep 1, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For a "typical" chlorine pool owner, what is your routine for chlorinating your pool? Are you manually pouring liquid chlorine into your pool every single day? If not, what do you do?

First thing is to test, I recommend the TF-PRO kit. I love mine! I've used pool store 12.5% and Walmart 10% with great results, just want to make sure it's as fresh as possible because it degrades fast sitting in the garage. You could add everyday to maintain your Free Chlorine, In my southern California heat with CYA=70 and no tablets I use a gallon every 2-3 days which in my 20k pool equals 5-6ppm rise, but I try to keep my FC around 5 because it should always be 7.5% of your CYA level. I just pour and walk around the entire perimeter with the pump on. I give it 10 minutes before swimming. My Leslie's has a pretty cool bendy straw pour spout thing that reduces splashing #20323

You should update your profile signature with your pool details to make it easier for people to make recommendations.

Good Luck keep up the good fight!
20230813_142827.jpg

Last edited:
For 1 year, I tracked my pool pretty frequently during the week each season. Based on that I came up with a schedule that keeps my values in appropriate range. This can vary for each pool due to assorted factors (location, usage, etc). My recommendation would be to track it and see what works for you.

For 1 year, I tracked my pool pretty frequently during the week each season. Based on that I came up with a schedule that keeps my values in appropriate range. This can vary for each pool due to assorted factors (location, usage, etc). My recommendation would be to track it and see what works for you.
But how are you adding chlorine? Manually pouring some in as-needed? I feel like this has to be a more efficient way.

Yes I manually add chlorine. During the summers typically Tuesdays and Fridays. Maybe an extra day if I leave the pool uncovered. In the Winter usually just Fridays. Feel free to look at my logs if that’s at all helpful.

Reactions: Newdude
If it’s in your budget, a SWCG would be a good choice if you don’t want to manually chlorinate. I plan to eventually switch to one some day when I have to replace something like the pump, etc.

If it’s in your budget, a SWCG would be a good choice if you don’t want to manually chlorinate. I plan to eventually switch to one some day when I have to replace something like the pump, etc.
We considered it but all the pool builders in my area are against it saying it causes too many issues. So I'll just stick to chlorine for now. Thanks for the info.

Now that I've been using a solar cover every day, I have to add chlorine every other day, unless I'm having people over, then I add chlorine no matter what.

We considered it but all the pool builders in my area are against it saying it causes too many issues
They are woefully ignorant. We have thousands of users here that you'd have to pry it out of their cold dead hands, probably 10s of thousands. Its not just overwhelming, its overwhelmingly-overwhelming in favor of the SWG.

I test twice a week and haven't adjusted the SWG since the end of May, or beginning of June. I forget it's been so long. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They are woefully ignorant. We have thousands of users here that you'd have to pry it out of their cold dead hands, probably 10s of thousands. Its not just overwhelming, its overwhelmingly-overwhelming in favor of the SWG.

I test twice a week and haven't adjusted the SWG since the end of May, or beginning of June. I forget it's been so long. :)
I talked to probably 5 or 6 different builders and they all said the same thing. It's fine though - I can always switch at some point if I decide to.

Reactions: Newdude
We considered it but all the pool builders in my area are against it saying it causes too many issues. So I'll just stick to chlorine for now. Thanks for the info.
Your not alone, I’ve read a similar comment from someone in Southern California.

Unfortunately pool builders who have no idea how to manage a pool instructing and selecting equipment for new pool owners who have even less idea about how to manage a pool. I suspect the motivation is the extra cost that allows them to offer their product at a lower cost and potentially get a job over someone who includes a SWG.

Here in Australia a SWG is considered just as important as a filter, maybe more. Everyone has one. No one here would use a builder who didn’t include a SWG. Effective sanitation is arguably more important then filtration.

Last edited:
I chlorinate my pool with a Stenner Pump and Tank, I test a 3 times per week with the drop test and make minor adjustments to the pump output as needed. Almost all the pool builders say the same thing up here in Northern Cal. We were told that it would void our warranty so we will wait until after the warranty period and then possibly look into a SWG. During the season I buy my Chlorine from Walmart (Cheap and I am a retired Wally person so I get my discount), Walmart sells it so fast that it is fresh. During the off season when Walmart does not carry it, I use bleach or Hasa Brand Chlorine, I have the jug refill with Hasa but they have raised their prices lately so will probably stick with Walmart GV bleach this year ...

My pool is 33000 gallons. I buy 5 gallon carboys from the local pool store for something around $30 ea. I have a 2 quart pitcher that I use for pouring into the pool. Typically I will add 2 - 4 quarts every other day in the evening. Depends on what my chlorine test reveals. I pour slowly in front of the return leaving at least 30 minutes before the pump turns off for the night.

Reactions: Mdragger88
My pool is 33000 gallons. I buy 5 gallon carboys from the local pool store for something around $30 ea. I have a 2 quart pitcher that I use for pouring into the pool. Typically I will add 2 - 4 quarts every other day in the evening. Depends on what my chlorine test reveals. I pour slowly in front of the return leaving at least 30 minutes before the pump turns off for the night.

giphy (3) (6).gif

I have been woefully lazy with my pool this summer and add a gallon of chlorine every 2 days. I add it in the evening usually.
In past years I would test at least 4 times a week and add LC every day

Reactions: kul

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.