What is your routine

So long as you never broach minimum between doses you can dose daily or every other day etc.
Fc being a dab higher than target isn’t a problem (its safe up to slam level for your cya) but too little fc is asking for trouble.

About how much are you adding every other day? I know it will vary by pool/season/etc, but just trying to get a ballpark idea.
Around 1/2 gallon every other day (monday, wednesday, friday, sunday and then I repeat starting with Monday again). Without the cover it was 1/2 a gallon every day typically. I am still testing once daily on FC and PH.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm still trying to learn everything. People have been using straight chlorine pools forever, so I figure it's more than safe to continue going that route.
SWG is the way to go. I've been wanting to switch for a long time. It is a $1,200 to $1,800 investment but you won't have to add liquid chlorine anymore and it ends up equaling or slightly saving you $ after 3-4 years. Also it's very safe, SWG have been around since the 70s.

There's nothing wrong with using liquid chlorine. It's a very reliable way of sanitizing your pool as long as you're committed to maintaining FC levels. That may require daily dosing during swim season.

Make sure you have a plan for times when you're away from the home or cannot otherwise add chlorine.

SWG is the way to go. I've been wanting to switch for a long time. It is a $1,200 to $1,800 investment but you won't have to add liquid chlorine anymore and it ends up equaling or slightly saving you $ after 3-4 years. Also it's very safe, SWG have been around since the 70s.
Is it your opinion that the salt causes no harm to the metals in the equipment? The general concensus in my area is that the salt corrodes the metal pieces in things like the automatic cover motor and rails.

Is it your opinion that the salt causes no harm to the metals in the equipment? The general concensus in my area is that the salt corrodes the metal pieces in things like the automatic cover motor and rails.
Correct. At the levels that you would be using in a pool you should not run into issues with corrosion. In fact, keeping your PH balanced is the more likely reason for corrosion. If your pool is too acidic PH under 7.0 ppm for long periods of time is the reason your equipment, rails will get corroded.
If you measured the salt levels in your pool right now, you would be surprised that you may already have around 1000ppm. Everything you add to your pool eventually converts to salt. A SWG is only at 2,500ppm to 3,500ppm. If it was 35,000ppm like the Ocean then I would be worried about corrosion on your equipment, ect.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A by product of chlorine is salt so after a while even a non-SWG chlorinated pool has a decent salinity to it

A SWG pool is about 10% of an oceans salinity - about that of human tears - the consensus here is that a SWG pool has nil effect on metals. What affects them more is the pH.

And any metal that is going to rust is going to rust anyway regardless of salinity

Is it your opinion that the salt causes no harm to the metals in the equipment?
Salt water and salt pool are 2 entirely different things. Every manufacturer makes a SWG safe for their equipment, or anyone else's.

Secondary sanitizing systems often have incentives for the PB, like kickbacks or trips to Hawaii. Or they're padding their own store's repeat business. If they sell you a SWG and it's used properly, they won't see you again until it reaches end of life. Between the financial aspect and the ignorance, many PBs shy away from SWGs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.