What is this pipe?

PoolLover87

Sep 19, 2020
Fontana, CA
Recently I noticed water slowly spilling from this pipe. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Attached is a picture of my overall setup with the pipe circled in red. I’m thinking it’s some sort of overflow vent but really have no idea, hence this post lol. Any help would be appreciated!
AB39141C-3DBB-4892-9F2C-3546AA26E07B.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a spa? There is normally an air intake for the spa. If water is coming out of it, it normally means the spa jets are closed off but you are attempting to pump water into the spa and some of that water is coming back through the air feed line.
Can you fill out your signature? Really helps us help you.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Hi,
Yes there is a spa and after searching around this forum a bit this pipe is indeed an air intake pipe. Water doesn’t spill out when the spa is on and I can feel it getting strong suction. Rather the water spills out slowly when the system is off. I’m concerned of water waste at this point. I’ll investigate if the jets are closed off or blocked by debris. Thank you for your response!

When the system is off. I see the check valve for the spa is above that outlet. How much water comes out?

Typically, you can install a one-way valve (check valve), or raise the pipe to 4ft above water level. This pipe is too short causing the water to be able to leak out when the spa is off (reverse siphoning itself). Considering your plumbing and filter are above this pipe, gravity works as it should.

Example low pressure check valve you can cut below the elbow and install:

I’m concerned of water waste at this point.
That is admirable, and we all must do our part, no matter how little. But bad news: we pool owners are among the worst when it comes to wasting water. Where you and I live, we likely "waste" as much as 100+ gallons a day due to evaporation of our pool water. Yep, that was gallons a day. Fix all leaks, of course. But if you really want to minimize water waste, then covering your pool is a great way to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.