What is the purpose of pouring the chlorine so slowly in front of a jet(ago)?

Geminisq

May 23, 2021
LargoFL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have read several times in PS to pour the chlorine in a stream about the size of a pencil lead in front of a return jet. However I don't understand the purpose of pouring it in so slowly. I currently have a single speed pump/motor (soon to be replaced with a VS/ 2 speed motor). My pressure stays pretty steady at 10.

To help it disperse. Chlorine is denser than water so it sinks to the bottom. If it sits there for too long it can bleach your liner.
Ok, got it. And will that cause a problem with accurate test results since it is not dispersing/mixing well with the water?
G,

I think they say a stream "about the size of a pencil", not the lead in the pencil.

The size is not all that important, you just need to make sure that whatever amount you are pouring in does not just sink to the bottom of the pool. It needs to mix well with the return water.

Thanks,

Jim R.
If poured too fast, can that also cause my chlorine levels to drop quickly? ie. overnight?

If poured too fast, can that also cause my chlorine levels to drop quickly? ie. overnight?
G,

Absolutely not!! How slow, or how fast, you pour it into your pool will have no effect on how fast it gets used up.

I suggest that you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT. This link will tell you how... Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

At night, there should be nothing to consume your chlorine. If you test after sundown and then again before sunrise, there should be very little difference in the two readings. If you see a big drop in the chlorine level, that is a pretty good indication of your pool having algae.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You should wait at least 30 minutes to test after you add it...no matter the speed. But I question why it wasn't tested before? the chlorine addition was made. Speed nas no effect on over night loss.

Ok, got it. And will that cause a problem with accurate test results since it is not dispersing/mixing well with the water?
No, with the pump running it should be well mixed within 15 - 30 minutes. So give it 30 minutes before testing and you should be fine.

Reactions: Geminisq
If you don't pour it in front of a return then stir the water in the area where you poured it in with your pool brush.

I pour chemicals into my deep end and stir them in.

I can 100% guarantee nobody in the pool service industry stirs their liquid chlorine into a pool.
I walk the perimeter of one side while pouring and then mix my muriatic acid in a 5 gallon bucket and pour down the other(if needed).

I can 100% guarantee nobody in the pool service industry stirs their liquid chlorine into a pool.
I walk the perimeter of one side while pouring and then mix my muriatic acid in a 5 gallon bucket and pour down the other(if needed).
That doesn’t mean it’s safe for surfaces or a good practice. Many service techs do things every day that aren’t recommended here for variety of reasons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Service Techs in the pool industry rarely follow best practices.

No one should blindly follow what there pool service does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.