What is the difference between the Hayward W3AQ and GLX-CTL-RITE?

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
So I am finally about to take the plunge get us a SWG, this forum has been very helpful to me to understand what this is. I am studying Hayward currently and cannot tell the difference between these two models. I know you have to get a cell for both. Is one just an older model and they do the same thing? Or dose one have different or additional features?

Hayward W3AQ and GLX-CTL-RITE.

61EpnZrdE%2BL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
61hwsnFSvQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for your reply, Great link on the Aquarite, thanks!. Both of the ones I listed are for below ground pools. Both made by Hayward, both aquarite. Maybe the secon one is an older unit?

Here is a link to the second one.

Thank you, that is what is in my first picture. I’m trying to determine the difference between these two I think they’re the same thing. One may be older than the other one but if they meet the same purpose I might be getting the cheaper one

The GLX-CTL-RITE is only the control box.

It isn't the whole system.

W3AQR15 is the whole system.
Thanks again for your help, No, These are different boxes with the same name and different part numbers, The R15 just means that it’s for a 40,000 gallon pool. If W3RQ ended with an R9 that would be for a 25,000 gallon pool. W3AQ is the top one, and GLX-CTL-RITE is the bottom, in my original post. I want to know what the difference is between the two control boxes. Does one offer more control features in the other one? Is it just a different sticker on the cover? Why are they different? I understand that the cell is a different component, I’m just trying to understand the difference between these two control boxes. You can hook up an R15 to both of them, both made by Hayward, both called Aquarite, different part number.

Last edited:

It isn't the whole system. If you only want to buy the box, that's the part number.

W3AQR15 is the whole system. The old part number for the system was AQR15.

W3AQ is not a part number for anything. It is not a part number for the box.

In any case, the boxes are the same.

It isn't the whole system. If you only want to buy the box, that's the part number.

W3AQR15 is the whole system. The old part number for the system was AQR15.

W3AQ is not a part number for anything. It is not a part number for the box.

In any case, the boxes are the same.
OK, I think you are getting through to me. You know more about this than I do. I understand that there’s more to the system then the just the control boxes. So what you’re telling me is both control boxes have the exact same part number. There is no difference between the control boxes in my original post from a performance or feature perspective, just a different sticker? Maybe the one on the bottom in my original post is older and Hayward just updated the sticker?

Last edited:
Provide links to the two products you are comparing. Hayward packages the same products for different markets and sales channels under different SKUs. It is a common practice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Provide links to the two products you are comparing. Hayward packages the same products for different markets and sales channels under different SKUs. It is a common practice.

Thanks, what is interesting, and corroborates what James has been trying to tell me, in the second link, there is a customer posted picture in the reviews that is of same one as the what is in the first link. I.E. they are the same part number, GLX-CTL-RITE. ( CTL control, RITE, AquaRite).

This page shows the models.

The boxes are the same. They change the graphics periodically.

Thanks, you have successfully convened me sir, thank you for your help with this.

If you want remote control:

Or

Do you want to go to full automation?

Thank you James, I think the HLAQR940 Is the one I want.

I have not really looked at the Pentair ones only to see that people complaining about the cost of replacement when they were out because the electronics are within the cell itself.

I think that it's a professional installation/sale only from an authorized dealer.

Maybe call Hayward for options.

You can probably get the W3AQR15 and an automation component separately.

Maybe just get Omnilogic with the included power supply and cell.

I think that it's a professional installation/sale only from an authorized dealer.

Maybe call Hayward for options.

You can probably get the W3AQR15 and an automation component separately.

Maybe just get Omnilogic with the included power supply and cell.

OK thank you brother, I do everything myself. I do not like to mess with dealers, I would rather buy something used on eBay than deal with a dealer. I have been promised so many things and then under performed. One price on the phone, higher price in person. Soapbox, sorry. So I’ll see what info I can get from Hayward over the phone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.