Cape Coral, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I have a Pentair superflo vs and a Hayward filter and an Aquacal Heatwave heater. I have three valves. A skimmer (open) a dedicated vac line (closed) and Main Drain (open). That's it. How do I bypass my hayward filter in order to recirculate? I am trying to properly prime my pool pump. Or do I simply not have the capability to recirculate? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Recirculate is available if you have a MPV on a DE or Sand filter. What type of filter do you have? Post a few pictures.

Wiz,

What Marty said, but....

Why recirculate at all, it should not be needed to prime or run your pump.

All you should need to do is make sure there is water in the pump basket, and turn the pump on.

Is this a new pump? Has it worked before, but suddenly it won't prime?

Tell us the whole story and maybe we can help.

Pics are always helpful..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I read it on the internet that in order to properly prime your pool pump you should bypass the filter. Just saying. In any event I have a Hayward Star Clear Plus pool filter but I dont see any way to bypass the filter to recirculate the water the way the article suggested. Why prime? Because my pool shoots air out of the jets when fist starting up. I want to do everything possible to remove the air before before trying to prime the pump.

Ad,

Thanks for the extra info...

In a well operating system you should not have any air shooting out when you first turn the pump on.

I suspect that the water in your pump basket drains back into the pool, when you shut the pump off. It should not do that.. This generally means that you have an air leak.. One common place for that to happen is the filter air purge valve.. It can get debris inside that allows air into the filter when the pump is off.

It would be best to fix the air leak, no matter where it is, but if you can't find it, the next option is to install a check valve in front of your pump. This will allow water to enter the pump, but not allow water to drain back into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.