What is longest can be away without having to pay for pool maintenance during summer/fall?

Daders

May 23, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So we just had our new pool build finish in late April and now may be leaving for up to 6 months. SMDH. Pool is perfectly clear thanks to all the stellar info and advice here.

So… if I was to do a crazy high SLAM and cover the pool how long would you expect to be able leave it? If I was to do this, would it be best to reduce the pump running time to winter hours? Keep in mind pool is in TX and current pool temp is 90F. Obviously I would clean the filter, pump catch basin and skimmers prior to leaving.

Essentially my question is: if I were to perform a winter closing (without draining below skimmer level) in the summer is it possible to leave the pool without maintenance? And what would be an expected time frame before needing to check on the pool? A month? 3 months? 6 months?

Leaving a pool in the winter versus the summer are two very different things. We are going on vacation for 10 days in July and I'm anxious about leaving the pool for that long. I can't imagine 6 months 😱. I believe that the summer conditions would burn through that SLAM level chlorine in short order and that your pool would become a swamp monster very quickly. Most people would tell you to get a pool open and filtering when temps reach around 60 deg F or earlier. With water temp of 90F, I don't see how you could winterize it and put it to bed for 6 months... Maybe someone knows a way but I can't think of one. Actually, yes I can, hire a pool company to babysit your pool while you are away. That's probably the best solution given the time of year you want to leave.

I figured it was unrealistic, but since the sun is the main reason for Cl consumption didn’t know what to expect with respect to time if I, for example, SLAMed to 40 ppm with a cover.

A swg would feed your pool chlorine whether u are there or not. It would still require some regular checking on though. Raising to slam level for your cya is ok but going way over isn’t recommended for your surfaces & equipment.
Leaving the pool running & unattended for 6 months is a bad plan. The pump could run dry among other things.
You also don’t wanna mess up the new plaster by allowing ph to get out of control either. The ph will rise whether u have a cover on or not. If u close in late October/ early November you really only have 4 months to think about.
Your signature suggests u have a puck feeder. Raising to slam level with liquid chlorine, using the feeder, & deploying the cover should keep the fc up & ph slightly under control for a week- 10 days (maybe a little longer) but cc’s will build up under the cover which isn’t great for the cover long term - also the cya build up is a factor since this will need to be repeated for months.
You can either pay a service (knowing u may have to fix things later) or invest in a swg & possibly an acid doser & check on the pool yourself every couple weeks (if this is even a possibility) or actually close the pool & deal with it when u get back. Some polyquat 60 may be beneficial in this situation as a little insurance no matter what u decide.
If u pay a service, look for one that tests & gives u the results along with the report of what they add so u can contact them & hopefully adjust the plan. In any of these instances some cameras around the pool & equipment are a good idea so u can check in on things from afar. You can always clear the swamp upon your return but you don’t want there to be damage to surfaces & equipment too.

@mknauss : we don’t have a custom cover, but have a tarp that would reach both the pool and spa.

@Mdragger88: I kind of figured I was SOL expecting to SLAM and be ok with an in-line feeder. To return every few weeks would be more expensive than to pay a pool service, I was more concerned about them adding product I don’t want in the pool. But as you stated I don’t want to ruin a brand new pool surface (wouldn’t want to ruin any age pool surface) so it’s probably best just to pay a pool service as we do have security cameras so I can keep an eye on things.

thanks for the feedback, I figured it was a long shot.

I guess my last question would be:

If any of you wanted to keep your house, but were moving out of town how would you handle your pool situation knowing you’d come back 2-3x per year?

I was in a similar situation a few years ago while we were remodeling a 2nd home. I have a SWCG and was only 3.5 hours away, so I could get home, if needed. I also have a custom mesh cover that I could have used. I was still too paranoid to leave it completely unattended for 2 months, so I hired a service. Of course, they raised my TA and lowered my FC, even though I gave specific instructions on the levels I maintain. Regardless, I think my maximum period for leaving the pool unattended would be in the 2-3 week range, but I’m probably overly cautious because I had a pump fail on me while I was out of town once. We’re leaving for a short trip soon and I just added a security camera so that I can check on the pool equipment.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Issue with a tarp is if it rains, it will sink.
A custom cover, safety one, that does not allow water to get through, you can just cover it and leave. It will be some work when you return, but it will be there. Your biggest issue is the plaster is new. Very likely you will get scale or some other finish impacting issue. Poor time to build a pool if you are then leaving.

Rent out the house. Probably best way with a pool service.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If any of you wanted to keep your house, but were moving out of town how would you handle your pool situation knowing you’d come back 2-3x per year?
If the 2-3x’s per year was more than a week or two each & during pool season (only gone for a couple weeks at a time).
I would go with a swg, automatic ph doser, & automation that I could control/monitor from anywhere & have a monthly pool service.
Any less time than that I would sell the house & rent a Vrbo/air bnb in the area when visiting - it would be much cheaper & less of a headache in the long run.
I personally am not a fan of long distance property management/rentals if i can’t just run over & check on it - so I wouldn’t go that route but it’s definitely another option especially if air bnb’s/vrbo’s are a thing in your area & you don’t need the $$ for your next house.
It could offset the maintenance costs of the house/pool & you could keep it available for yourself at the times u wish to visit.(which is the whole point right?)
But be prepared, all renters/guests won’t treat it like its your home. That especially holds true with any long distance landlording. It can be rough mentally depending upon how long u lived there & your expectations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.