What filter is best under trees?

My Pool 15x40 and around 17,875 gallons. Two returns and one skimmer. I'm under a lot of big old oak trees and some pine trees here on Long Island in NY, all of which I've cut back as best as possible. I'm in need of a new filter I think b/c I keep having to replace parts in it which i do myself. I do everything myself including all the coping and paver work you see in the top photo and re-resurfaced the busted areas of concrete, then repainted with a 2 part epoxy paint. I have a decent test kit and a good Dolphen robot ($1000) I use 4-5x a week.

I cant keep the water clear like it is in this photo...doesn't stay that way for long after I open the pool like in both photos. I have a Hayward S-200 sand filter with a Hayward 1HP pump. The filter is old and I've rebuilt it more times than I wanted to. Changed the sand numerous times.

What filter is best for under trees?

I'm thinking of switching to a cartridge filter., seems as though it would be easier than changing the sand every other year. I back wash as much as necessary too. Would a new cartridge filter help? You can sort of get an idea of all the trees in the second photo before I re-did the pool and patio/copings myself. To the left of the pool is where all the huge trees are. theyre set back, not not far. What kind of filter would you use, and do you think that could be my problem?
TIA
20190911_165715_1568235507596_resized.jpgfullsizeoutput_1e.jpeg

Last edited:
You sound like a candidate for skimmer socks. Or hairnets. Or nylons. Stretch it over the skimmer basket and they catch the majority of the stuff going to your filter. No pine needles will slip past the skimmer or pump strainer. They'll even catch a lot of pollen. Here's what mine looks like. If you use the search box for hairnet, you'll find plenty of threads giving sources.

Reactions: andybuildz
I have a lot of trees too! big ones.. so big my pool never gets any sun.. but that is another thread.. Nevertheless the trees are a part of the yard's ambiance and there is no way I am taking them out... besides I couldn't afford the lumberjack fee, even though I would have firewood for the rest of my life. ...

So. I am happy to live with all the stuff that comes off the trees. The skimmer socks help a lot! A Cartridge filter has it pros and cons just like sand does. Mine is a cartridge type and I take them out and clean them about twice a year... once in the spring before pool season.. and again in the fall before off season. Here is a good comparison of the filter types:
Pool Filter Comparison - Trouble Free Pool

You sound like a candidate for skimmer socks. Or hairnets. Or nylons. Stretch it over the skimmer basket and they catch the majority of the stuff going to your filter. No pine needles will slip past the skimmer or pump strainer. They'll even catch a lot of pollen. Here's what mine looks like. If you use the search box for hairnet, you'll find plenty of threads giving sources.
Thanks Richard, never heard of that before; learn something new each day. Makes sense so I'll definitely will try that. Maybe buy one thats made for that purpose. Probably need to check it often so as not to restrict water flow to the filter. Good advice. Thanks again.

I have a lot of trees too! big ones.. so big my pool never gets any sun.. but that is another thread.. Nevertheless the trees are a part of the yard's ambiance and there is no way I am taking them out... besides I couldn't afford the lumberjack fee, even though I would have firewood for the rest of my life. ...

So. I am happy to live with all the stuff that comes off the trees. The skimmer socks help a lot! A Cartridge filter has it pros and cons just like sand does. Mine is a cartridge type and I take them out and clean them about twice a year... once in the spring before pool season.. and again in the fall before off season. Here is a good comparison of the filter types:
Pool Filter Comparison - Trouble Free Pool
Oh yeh, and what you said about the ambiance the trees add. Couldnt agree more. I love lying under them on my float. Maybe I don't need a new filter, maybe just keep replacing parts as need be and that sock idea. I just noticed that the filter I have on Amazon says its over $600...geezz, really? Probably more on Amazon though than anywhere else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.