What does your pool paradise look like?

I like that floating target!

It's a bit of a Maguyvered solution. I made my regular old chipping target float by attaching an adhesive backed split pipe insulation foam noodle from Home Depot. I looped a rope thru the target and tied it to both sides of the base, then hooked the loop over a short length of pipe driven into the ground. The pipe serves as a pulley and depending on which end of the rope I pull, the target rotates that direction. That way the target stays right in the middle of the pool but I can go down to the shallow end and hit 30-40 footers by just rotating the target that way. The two clips are still accessible so it folds flat for storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: jark87
beautiful. the slope side where you have the mulch and bushes, do you do anything there to prevent the soil from washing away? I had to build up on both sides of my pool and have a steep slope similar to you. I built it up as much as I could and I have sod growing now but I worry about the soil washing away under the concrete

What kind of tree is that to the left. Golden Larch or some type of Fir Tree? Your spot looks beautiful.
Thanks! It a deodar cedar and it is beautiful, but I don't recommend it near a pool. It has needles, as do several other trees and bushes around our pool and they are the bane of my existence.

They were installed by the prior homeowner. I am constantly skimming needles out of the pool, year round, and every time I clean my filter cartridges they are clogged with needles.

The next time I need new cartridges, I'm going to put in a sand filter instead. I've had one before and much prefer them.

beautiful. the slope side where you have the mulch and bushes, do you do anything there to prevent the soil from washing away? I had to build up on both sides of my pool and have a steep slope similar to you. I built it up as much as I could and I have sod growing now but I worry about the soil washing away under the concrete
Nothing but the metal edging around the outside. But it's not really as steep as it appears in that pic. Here's a side view. There are a couple of large rocks in there too. The landscaper may have added those to help with erosion. I don't know -- we bought it like this.FB_IMG_1628537340185.jpg

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
Thanks! It a deodar cedar and it is beautiful, but I don't recommend it near a pool. It has needles, as do several other trees and bushes around our pool and they are the bane of my existence.

They were installed by the prior homeowner. I am constantly skimming needles out of the pool, year round, and every time I clean my filter cartridges they are clogged with needles.

The next time I need new cartridges, I'm going to put in a sand filter instead. I've had one before and much prefer them.
First thing I thought of is falling needles. Looks nice but you would want if farther away. Why do prefer sand to cartridge, I haven't read that before?

Sounds like your pool is a good candidate for disposable hair nets in the skimmer. I have two very hairy, shedding dogs that swim regularly. Just cleaned the cartridges and there was almost no dog hair. I could have counted the pieces of hair that made it to the filter since April.

First thing I thought of is falling needles. Looks nice but you would want if farther away. Why do prefer sand to cartridge, I haven't read that before?
Ease of maintenance. I can backwash a sand filter in a matter of minutes. Cleaning my cartridges (4) usually takes a hour or two and results in a backache. Consequently I don't do it as often as I should.

I've read that cartridges filter better than sand. But having used both, I honestly can't see any difference. The only drawback I see to sand is having to replenish the water and stabilizer lost by backwashing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like your pool is a good candidate for disposable hair nets in the skimmer. I have two very hairy, shedding dogs that swim regularly. Just cleaned the cartridges and there was almost no dog hair. I could have counted the pieces of hair that made it to the filter since April.
I'm going to try that. I'm sure it will help. But I notice some needles always slip by now when I take the baskets out to empty them.

The hibiscus have really enjoyed this years weather. The secret is heatwave June 🥵, monsoon July 😥, heatwave August :swim:.
zd6mCcM.jpg

Reactions: Casey and DogDad
They do look great! Ours are very reliable. We have Lord Baltimore and Lady Baltimore. They are the latest perrenials of any we have to break dormancy. Usually after May 1st here.

Lineman- cool light show both inside and outside of the pool! I lived out west of Lubbock for awhile and have been thru that part of the universe more than a few times. It's mesmerizing driving in the dark because the red lights on the turbines would all blink on and off at the same time.

Reactions: Lineman7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.