What do you do with the left over chlorine in the LQ?

flyboy320

Well-known member
Jul 23, 2009
216
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Going to close next week and just wondering what you all do with the water and chlorine left over in the LQ when closing? I want to bring the unit indoors for winter. I was thinking since I haven't shocked yet maybe I could crank the LQ wide open for that, but even still I'm sure there will be chlorine left in there (as well as the water on top of the chlorine I'll have to get ride of).
 

flyboy320

Well-known member
Jul 23, 2009
216
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Ya I think I will. But there will be lots left in the LQ even when I shock. I didn't realize how little you need when it cools off for the season, and I had just filled it about a week before the hot weather ended, so there is still lots left in it.
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
32,132
Sebring, Florida
I would be cautious about exceeding your shock level by too much. Probably 30% above shock is OK but keep in mind it will stay in your pool a good while and take a good while to be consumed down to normal.

I would consider elevating the FC now and holding it up there until you are ready to cover it.
 

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
23,371
SouthWest Alabama
Here's what I do. Run as much bleach out of the LQ as I can then block off the fill line and remove the outlet line from the float valve and lower it into the LQ all the way to the bottom. Turn on the pump and open the flow valve wide open. It'll completely empty the LQ in a little while. Don't leave it too long as you don't want it to run dry and suck air into the pump.

If you have an almost full charge of bleach in the LQ you should run it above normal, as Dave said, until there's about enough left to shock the pool.