What did you learn

nmsrick

Jul 14, 2020
Murrieta, CA
We are in the process of an owner builder. We have basic plans, and are finalizing those now. If you could go back, what have you learned and what would you have changed about your pool? We are in Southern CA. The pool will be free form, about 30X18 at the widest points, 8" spa. We want to have a tanning ledge and a max depth of 7". Thanks all for your help.

Welcome to pool ownership.
I would make my equipment pad larger and space out equipment to check it or work on it.
Reduce exposure of your equipment pad to full sunlight as much as possible, ensure it has some shade throughout the day, cover it with a sunshade or awning if feasible
I would have both skimmers plumbed independently back to the equipment pad with each having a valve to control suction
If you have a water feature, suggest you have that as an independent system - its own suction and pump. That has helped me when I had to do some work on the main filter and pump and was able to maintain circulation throughout the pool
Pick the best plaster that you can afford. You look at it everyday and need to be pleased with the color, the texture, etc.
Have proper drainage around your pool area. Splash out and rain need to run away from the pool and not be a soggy mess
Use automation to make your life easier to monitor equipment/operate the most important components, but don't over automate
Good Luck

Reactions: brimorga
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.