What did you do to your pool today?

Is the "Nooooo!" also to the "ACID CLEAN EVERY THREE MONTHS"
I didn't even notice that. My last cell said 'inspect and clean if necessary' or something to that extent.

I'm sure they have no clue that the acid is harmful. They'd just as easily blame my FC or phosphates on a warranty claim.

62F....62F....62F.....62F

I know what I'm not doing today. That is closing the pool for the winter. Installed the mesh cover a month ago. Now I'm waiting for the pool to hit 60F. We even had several days with highs in the low 50s and low 30s at night. That wasn't enough for the water to cool further. It also hasn't rained during this time. I need a good, cold rain to help me out. It's supposed to rain next week. We'll see.

What was I supposed to do to my pool today? Or what did I do? Technically, I only have to do whatever I please on Thanksgiving weekend! So...

I taught my house (via iDevices and my extensive temperature sensor system) to tell me various temperatures around my house. So in any room:

Me: "Hey Siri, pool temperature."
Her: "Pool temperature is 54 degrees."

Me: "Hey Siri, outside temperature."
Her: "Outside temperature is 57 degrees."

Etc for my office, garage, master bedroom and living room.

These temperature readouts are not related to my pool automation temperature sensors, nor local weather (or whatever Siri uses when you ask her the temperature where you live). The readouts are from actual temperature sensors in my house or pool or yard, and are not dependent on the internet.

Tomorrow arrives my "Pool Pad Cam." More on that another day!

The pool water hit 58F. I tested the FC. It was 16ppm. I shut off all the electricity to the equipment pad. Removed all the plugs to the pump, heater and sand filter. Opened all the PVC unions. Install the Gizmos in the skimmers. The pool is now closed until around April.

• Sad
Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88
Maybe I should have a thread "What didn't you do to your pool this year". I noticed some people need to add muriatic acid once or twice a week to maintain pH. The last time I added muriatic acid to my pool was Sept 10, 2022. I went all this past season without adjusting pH.

Dirk, you shouldn't be sad about the pool closing. I like ice cream sundaes but they're not so special if you eat one every day for a year. Same with pools. Appreciate the pool more when I can't swim every day of the year.
If a tree falls in a forest, and there’s no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a pool closes, and there's no one around to complain about it, was it ever any fun?

960+ Wise Old Man Illustrations, Royalty-Free Vector Graphics & Clip Art -  iStock | Wise man, Sage, Wizard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably also a good example of running a VSP at low speed and having no water features helps keep pH from rising.

I wish. Same setup here minus 15 minutes worth of spillover a day and the rise is astronomical during the summer because of our high pH fill water.

As for what I did today, I manually dosed some chlorine like a dirty pleb. I haven't done that since I got the SWCG. Felt wrong.

I manually dosed some chlorine like a dirty pleb. I haven't done that since I got the SWCG. Felt wrong.
:laughblue:

A week or so each spring is enough for me to see 'how the other half lives'. It's an adventure finding chlorine here in the early season and one I'm thrilled to only do once.

My water hit 52 degrees and the IC60 cold water, red light came on so now the SWG is off. So I too am now manually adding liquid chlorine. Fortunately, HD and Lowe’s carry LC all year. I don’t mind buying it from the outside garden section now because the temps here in Las Vegas are 45* - 60* degrees.

I just turned off my SWG too. Actually, I switched my IntelliChlor/IntellipH combo over to winter mode: which turns off the IC but keeps the IpH going year round. Next week starts the LC dosing. I can go once a week, so about 12 times total. Not all that bad, especially because I don't have to handle the acid too. Local Leslie's always has chlorine. And my Smart and Final sells 10%, too.

Remember you newbie liquid chlorine hunters: chlorine and no-additive bleach, available just about everywhere, are the same thing.

no-additive bleach, available just about everywhere, are the same thing.

Unfortunately, no additive is getting harder and harder to find.

My hot tub take so little LC that a really don't have to buy any over the winter, but the local Leslie's Pool Supply around here has it year round. They are on extremely limited operating hours, but they have it.

Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88
Finally got my Salt Water Generator up and running. As usual everything took 5 times longer than I thought it would :)

Tom
Here's my math. I find it best to underestimate time needed. If I think it'll take a day, yah, it's gunna take me five. But if I plan ahead and allow myself the five days right off, then it'll take me 25 days! The "5 times longer" is a constant.

images.jpeg

Over the weekend.

Removed some of the leaves and water from the pool cover

Did my "last water change and deep clean until spring" on the hot tub. Ran an Ahhsome purge. Had about 3 inches of1/8" wide brown scum in total in two spots in the tub (where it always collects). I think AquaClarity is a big reason I get next to nothing when I purge (and of course sanitation).

Reactions: Mdragger88
This weekend I had to install bird netting inside the top of my equipment pad lean-to. After doing a pad refresh a couple months ago, the birds seemed to like my work so much they decided to call it home which resulted in bird dropping over all of my new work. The netting should prevent them from trying to call that place home.

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support