What did you do to your pool today?

Alright, not bragging but it's in the high 90's all week here with 100 today. Oh, and a high fire risk warning. If we are not running from a fire, we will be in the pool later.
Again, 90/100 with low humidity is one thing. But add in an 80F dewpoint and you cannot get cool. Nothing evaporates.

A fitting blew out on our pump and drained the water below the skimmer opening. :eek:
Now we have to refill to mid skimmer, to make sure the pump did not burn itself out, SLAM, lower the water level, cover and close for the winter. :hammer:

Do you happen to have vacuum pole , head and hose? Then you don't have to fill her up.
Thanks for the thought, but we always lose prime when I try to vacuum with a low water level. The vacuum port is on the inside of the pool wall and I have never been able to pull the hose over the top of the skimmer box to plug it directly into the skimmer opening.

Good news - the pump still works, did not burn itself out overnight. So the pump is running, circulating the water and I will be slamming it tomorrow. Closing will have to wait till next week since we are very busy and out of town this weekend.

Just over 2 1/2 weeks ago I installed the safety cover. Now I unhook a dozen straps to finish closing.
Monday I dosed the pool with another 100 ml of Polyquat 60. After circulation for an hour I did my last backwash and rinse of the season. I lowered to the bottom of the skimmer. Turned off the pump just before it would gulp air. Then I shut the ball valve to the skimmer line. I plugged the skimmer for extra insurance. Then I turned the pump back on to draw from ONLY the main drain. I lowered the pool to just below the eyeball returns. I undid all the unions, drained the pump and sand filter, removed the eyeballs.
Tuesday a buddy came over and we blew out the Heat Pump and added RV antifreeze to the heater.
Today Wednesday I finish blowing out the lines and I plug them. Then I add antifreeze. I am done for the season.
The pool had got down to 51.5°F but has risen to 56°F. It is still a solid 60°F so I am good.

The pool is so clean clean clean! There are still leaves to drop so I am happy that I covered it early.

Tip a glass to TFP

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I installed my safety cover on Sunday. The funniest thing happened. Each time my daughter brings her dog to my house, the dog heads straight for the pool and drive right into the water. Last night, my daughter comes over for dinner and brings her dog. Where she releases the dog from her leash, the dog can't see the pool. She takes off in a sprint after being released from her leash. She turns the corner and runs fast to the pool. Right before she reaches it, she stops quickly. You can just see the disappointment in her because she couldn't dive into the water.

Started working on a 1/14 scale model of my above ground pool for 3D Design class. The hard part is converting decimals to 16ths of an inch. And cutting the paperboard square. Yes, I'll post a picture once the thing is done.

The actual pool itself is ticking along fine, having closed it 3 weeks ago. Adding chlorine once a week.

Saturday I winterized my water features pump/circuits. I am going to keep the pool going, but the water features will not be used throughout the winter, so no need to keep that pump going, just so it can cycle on during the freezing weather.

Used the shop vac to blow down the features themselves. When it came time to blow the main drain line out, the shop vac didn't have enough oomph. So I was about ready to pull the trigger on a cyclone blower, when I realized, all I needed was a blower. I have a perfectly good blower already on my equipment pad. It produces plenty of pressure to overcome the head pressure on the main drain line.

So I cobbled together this handy dandy adapter to connect to my pump suction union... and viola! I can use my spa blower to blow out the main drain line! I thnk next year I will plumb in a 3 way valve on the blower line so I can just divert the blower flow through a shop vac hose to blow things down.

--Jeff

Attachments

• Blower adapter.JPG
    Blower adapter.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: kimkats and jark87
Nothing, as usual. Love my SWG.
Me, I have to pour in chlorine today, because it's too cold for my SWG. So right now I hate my SWG. But we always seem to make up, and get back together. Usually in Springtime. Maybe it's the flowers, or the birds singing? Not sure...

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support