What did you do to your pool today?

Finally got the pool opened between yesterday and today. Saw a high of 63 today. No crazy post about me taking a 50 degree swim this year. I opened later than usual because my wiring needed some tlc. Had to run a whole new service out there to a subpanel vs the individual runs the pool company had done. This was my ugliest opening. Last year FC was 7 when I opened, this year was 3.5. It was just dirtier overall, and the iron staining made it look horrible. I also dumped some leaves in off the cover when I took it off. I cleaned most of them out, and did a metal treatment, so hopefully a day or two of filtering will have it looking perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally ran the Polaris 280 after a motor replacement on the booster pump. Seems a lizard got into the pump and shorted it out. The guy who replaced the motor found a lizard skeleton in it. Hope it was one of those invasive brown anoles and not a green one.

Pumped top of winter cover off, removed it, cleaned it, dried it, and stored it. Water is clear and temp is 52F.

Topped off water level, reinstalled stored equipment, ran pump full speed for half day, then switched to timed slow speed.

Continued to install new solar reel and cover; they're now ready for final mounting adjustments.

Plan to check chemistry and do final solar adjustments tomorrow!!

Spring is here :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Now,
Haven't posted here in years, but this site was instrumental in getting me to properly deal with the pool. Thanks to all!
We are in NW TN and opened on March 31....early for folks around here, but just couldn't look at the cover any more.
Half full, but balanced when closed. Looked great after removing cover. Filled it up to 22000gal (in-ground). Dumped in 25 lbs of Ca to get hardness at 250ppm and trimmed the acid for 7.6pH. Water temp was 59F. Waited a day or two and added stabilizer CYA with aim of 40ppm. Dissolved good in this laundry device the wife had for putting her bra in to wash it. She wasn't crazy about the idea, but I'll buy her another cause it was perfect in the skimmer. Did an algaecide 60 treatment while the trees were raining pollen and stuff in the water. Was clear from day one. Temp got to 64F by April 8, so hopped on the floaties and spent a gorgeous first day drinking screwdrivers and getting sun burn.
The season begins. Cheers!

Need to go see about heating it back up for the weekend. Cold front and lots of rain yesterday probably got it out of the comfort zone! And it's going to be cloudy the next couple of days so solar probably won't help much either. Time for some heat pump!

Need to go see about heating it back up for the weekend. Cold front and lots of rain yesterday probably got it out of the comfort zone! And it's going to be cloudy the next couple of days so solar probably won't help much either. Time for some heat pump!

With optimum conditions, how long does it take you to heat say, ten degrees with that DV? I'm guessing in peak summer time you have to avoid using it eh?

Heat pump alone can heat 1 degree in 3ish hours. Solar adds more to that. Solar can add a degree or more per hour when the sun is blazing. Yep, all that is off during summer and sometimes in August we run solar at night to cool it back down to 92-93.

Hey Now,
Haven't posted here in years, but this site was instrumental in getting me to properly deal with the pool. Thanks to all!
We are in NW TN and opened on March 31....early for folks around here, but just couldn't look at the cover any more.
Half full, but balanced when closed. Looked great after removing cover. Filled it up to 22000gal (in-ground). Dumped in 25 lbs of Ca to get hardness at 250ppm and trimmed the acid for 7.6pH. Water temp was 59F. Waited a day or two and added stabilizer CYA with aim of 40ppm. Dissolved good in this laundry device the wife had for putting her bra in to wash it. She wasn't crazy about the idea, but I'll buy her another cause it was perfect in the skimmer. Did an algaecide 60 treatment while the trees were raining pollen and stuff in the water. Was clear from day one. Temp got to 64F by April 8, so hopped on the floaties and spent a gorgeous first day drinking screwdrivers and getting sun burn.
The season begins. Cheers!

64 on the first day in? A man after my own heart. I'll be in the pool when it hits 60s too... (although I do prefer high 70s, 80s!)

Pool company came and replaced my DE filter and performed a leak detection. Good news is that no leaks in the underground plumbing, woohoo! Just a few leaks around the skimmers thank goodness. The sealant on hand was from last year, so he will be back tomorrow or in a few days to fix. The filter body was from the 1980s and it was leaking badly were it connected to the multiport valve. My middle aged hands and health just don't let me do things like this anymore. Now I can finish my spring cleaning of the pool and hope to finish tweaking the water tomorrow after the leak repair... didn't want to waste chems if they had to replace any lines. Dodged an expensive bullet, whew.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support