What chemicals for a new pool

Welcome to TFP!
You will need liquid chlorine (plain, no additives) and dry stabilizer (CYA) to start with. Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet see my signature)? Once you post a set of test results, we can tell you what else you will need.

Welcome to TFP!
You will need liquid chlorine (plain, no additives) and dry stabilizer (CYA) to start with. Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet see my signature)? Once you post a set of test results, we can tell you what else you will need.
Wow that is some kit, now we are staying with plain water, so I bought a kit from Walmart that does a test. Thank you for the info on the chemical stuff, I just didn't know what to buy without getting stuff that I don't need. I will post what my results are when I set this pool up and get it going. Thank you

now we are staying with plain water, so I bought a kit from Walmart that does a test
It may do a test but I promise you it doesn’t do it well. You need a drop based Taylor brand test. You can buy the k2006C from many suppliers or the TF-100 from tftestkits.net that has been custom *Taylor-ed* to the way we do our testing. It has more of what you need more often and less of what you don’t.

It seems like a big investment as a newbie, and we get it, we were all there once. You have some time still so I ask you to ask anybody you know with pools what their average trip to the pool store costs. They will tell you ‘a few hundred’ if they are being honest and aren’t embarrassed by it. Inaccurate testing either on your own or by the free pool store test (designed to get you to buy supplies) will send you on a yo-yo quest that will spiral out of control and be far more costly in the process.

Also, Welcome to TFP !!!! Check out this thread to prove we know what we are doing. These are regular Jane/Joe pools that can hold their own against any brochure out there. Yours can be too.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Can you show us your Walmart kit? We can help piecemeal what it is missing if that would help.

It may do a test but I promise you it doesn’t do it well. You need a drop based Taylor brand test. You can buy the k2006C from many suppliers or the TF-100 from tftestkits.net that has been custom *Taylor-ed* to the way we do our testing. It has more of what you need more often and less of what you don’t.

It seems like a big investment as a newbie, and we get it, we were all there once. You have some time still so I ask you to ask anybody you know with pools what their average trip to the pool store costs. They will tell you ‘a few hundred’ if they are being honest and aren’t embarrassed by it. Inaccurate testing either on your own or by the free pool store test (designed to get you to buy supplies) will send you on a yo-yo quest that will spiral out of control and be far more costly in the process.

Also, Welcome to TFP !!!! Check out this thread to prove we know what we are doing. These are regular Jane/Joe pools that can hold their own against any brochure out there. Yours can be too.
I am a firm believer the right tools for the job, yes since I am in the outside looking in so to speak, I will take your advise this is why I joined this forum and asked the question. Thank you again for the direction I will order the TF-100 kit. I do not care about the investment price, heck I invested in an expensive pool, I want to go right and not cost me money early on to correct a problem for trying to be stubborn. I like the reads on this site, lots of info and very helpful.

I wasn’t sold immediately myself. Many others have come before me with the same and will continue to do so. But. One purchase was all it took for me. Lightning fast service with a quality product which I enjoyed many times during the season. I will be upgrading to the new ‘pro’ version soon instead of replacing half of my reagents.

So, when you get the kit there is a big lamented card telling you how to run the individual tests. DO NOT glance at it as a whole. Look at any individual test and you will see how stupid easy each one is. Fill vial to 10 ml. Add powder and stir while you count the drops. That stupid easy. But if you look at the instructions as a whole...... With several tests and each having steps........ it looks like astrophysics. :ROFLMAO:

My kit sat for a week or 3 and when I finally read line by line, I kicked myself for being intimidated.

I limped along for a couple years with the hth kits from wally world since i had tiny pools - they’re fine... until they’re not... like when u need to SLAM Process or actually measure fc & cc as they only read total chlorine up to 5ppm. I am certain i wasted plenty of $$ & effort with inaccurate dosing compared to just investing in a proper kit from the beginning then just refilling individual regeants as necessary.
When u get your kit in (they come in a couple days in TN) you can test your fill water for ph, ta, & ch to see what you’re working with & get the other things like Muriatic acid or baking soda if necessary before you start on your build.
Here’s a little reading homework to get u familiar w/ things👇
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Congrats on the new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.