Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Our pool was finished a few weeks ago and my TFtest kit arrives yesterday. It is 12,000 gallons, SWG (1.25 output). I followed the directions and now can’t figure out which to start with, so do I bring down the PH first and then work on the CYA? I turned the SWG down to 15%, it was at 30%.

Which area do I start first? How long between putting chemicals do I wait before moving on to the next?

FC - 4
TA - 90
CYA - 0
PH - 8.2
CH - 125
Salt - 3000 ppm

can’t figure out which to start with,
- Start adding stabilizer (CYA). Use the PoolMath AP to help you determine the amount required to take the CYA up to about 60 for now to start with. Use the sock method.
- At the same time, use muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.8 or slightly below. Doesn't have to be perfect, just not 8.0 or higher.

Is this a vinyl or plaster pool? Be sure to include all of your pool details (and test kit) to your signature. Congrats on the new pool. :swim:

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20-30 minutes, squeeze the sock often to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

- Start adding stabilizer (CYA). Use the PoolMath AP to help you determine the amount required to take the CYA up to about 60 for now to start with. Use the sock method.
- At the same time, use muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.8 or slightly below. Doesn't have to be perfect, just not 8.0 or higher.

Is this a vinyl or plaster pool? Be sure to include all of your pool details (and test kit) to your signature. Congrats on the new pool. :swim:
Thank you! It is a fiberglass, TF-100

Thank you! It is a fiberglass, TF-Pro Salt. Updated signature. I’ll start there.

Reactions: Newdude
Great. Then you don't need to do anything with the CH. I wouldn't go out of my way to do anything wiht the TA at this time either. TA has a broad acceptable range. It will probably slowly fall with acid applications when you address the pH. Letting it fall is fine, just no lower than 50.

Be sure to keep the FC balanced to the adjusted CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels and you should have a great swim season. :swim:

Great. Then you don't need to do anything with the CH. I wouldn't go out of my way to do anything wiht the TA at this time either. TA has a broad acceptable range. It will probably slowly fall with acid applications when you address the pH. Letting it fall is fine, just no lower than 50.

Be sure to keep the FC balanced to the adjusted CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels and you should have a great swim season. :swim:
Should I increase the calcium for the heater? The owners manual for the jandy heater says it recommends minimum 200?

Should I increase the calcium for the heater? The owners manual for the jandy heater says it recommends minimum 200?
It doesn’t hurt. I do the same with my vinyl pool.

All chems can pretty much be added at the same time, except liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. Those get poured into the pool at a return in a thin stream. Wait at least 15 minutes after adding one before adding the other.

Reactions: Cford2
Also, highly recommended to add about half the CYA, wait a couple of days after it’s all dissolved, test, and confirm before adding the other half. Someone could have put some in and it’s below 30, and so doesn’t register on the test.

Reactions: Cford2 and Newdude

One note -- adding 96oz of CYA will itself lower the pH by 1.11. I might hold off on Muriatic Acid as the CYA alone could bring pH down to the low 7s.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.