What are you thoughts on getting a higher rated heater vs recommended?

XRAYTIM

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2009
St.Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I do not have a heater now. I want a gas heater. My pool company is recommending a 250,000 BTU heater for my pool.
I have used a pool heating spreadsheet to estimate that 250,000 BTU will raise my pool 10 degrees in about 7 hrs, and 4 degrees in 4 hrs.
We use the pool on weekends mostly; the pool company is suggesting that I set the heater to 77 during non-use time and increase heating 3-4 hours before use.

? Would it make sense to put in a 400,000 BTU heater instead?

Pros for 400,000 BTU
-Turn it off Monday to Thursday running only on the weekend. Possibly save some fuel costs. I do not know if would be substantial savings or negligible. *(no need to keep pool semi-warm)
- Cooler weekday temperatures would use less chlorine and be a little easier to manage chemistry.
- Ability for swimming earlier and later in the year.

Cons for 400,000 BTU
- Bigger heater is 35%more expensive (+750$cdn) compared to smaller heater.
- Gas Line is more expensive - because it also requires resizing pipe from the gas meter. (+ $cnd)
- Gas is 30 cents cdn per 100 cubic feet, so it will take some time to save enough on gas to recoup extra costs.

Do you recommend getting an over-sized heater for a pool? Did I miss any pros and/or cons?

I do not have a heater now. I want a gas heater. My pool company is recommending a 250,000 BTU heater for my pool.
I have used a pool heating spreadsheet to estimate that 250,000 BTU will raise my pool 10 degrees in about 7 hrs, and 4 degrees in 4 hrs.
We use the pool on weekends mostly; the pool company is suggesting that I set the heater to 77 during non-use time and increase heating 3-4 hours before use.

Pros for 400,000 BTU
-Turn it off Monday to Thursday running only on the weekend. Possibly save some fuel costs. I do not know if would be substantial savings or negligible. *(no need to keep pool semi-warm)
- Cooler weekday temperatures would use less chlorine and be a little easier to manage chemistry.

Cons for 400,000 BTU
- Gas Line is more expensive - because it also requires resizing pipe from the gas meter. (+ $cnd)
- Gas is 30 cents cdn per 100 cubic feet, so it will take some time to save enough on gas to recoup extra costs.

Do you recommend getting an over-sized heater for a pool? Did I miss any pros and/or cons?

I would think 250k would be plenty big for your pool. We only have a 250k heater for our pool here in Ottawa, and our pool is quite a bit bigger than yours. We like it warm too, and keep it about 86 degrees at all times (we use it nearly every day from May through about mid-October. However, if you want the ability to heat your pool very quickly, the larger size can't hurt.

Reactions: XRAYTIM
There is no substitute for BTUs. Get the biggest heater for your budget.

Reactions: Chickinvic
That's surprising. Our 250k heater heats our pool (which is big) very well, and easily above that temperature. I wonder what is going on with yours?

It will in the summer time but was struggling when it was cold. I haven't been a fan of this hayward heater, had to replace a control board after a year and doesn't always lite the first time..
Probably need to look at cleaning the burners again :(

Reactions: Chickinvic

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you take into account heat loss (through conduction and evaporation) in your calculations? More than 1degree per hour for a 250,000 BTU heater in a 16,000 gal pool seems high. Be sure to use a cover to prevent the major source of heat loss (evaporation). Given your specific cons for the 400,000 BTU heater, I'd go with the 250,000BTU heater and a bubble ("solar") cover for the pool.

Did you take into account heat loss (through conduction and evaporation) in your calculations? More than 1degree per hour for a 250,000 BTU heater in a 16,000 gal pool seems high. Be sure to use a cover to prevent the major source of heat loss (evaporation). Given your specific cons for the 400,000 BTU heater, I'd go with the 250,000BTU heater and a bubble ("solar") cover for the pool.
*If I am using the spread sheet correctly ....

A difference of 30degree F. will need 88000 BTU, (wind 3-4 miles/hour) to maintain heat. I am thinking that almost all of the time either heater would keep up.

Does that sound right?

Pros for 400,000 BTU

Cons for 400,000 BTU

The great debate is, would the smaller heater and a solar cover, maintaining the higher temperature all the time, be more expensive then the bigger heater and changing temps, considering the up front costs, are quite high, for the bigger heater, and you lose the ability to decide on the way home from work, on a Tuesday when the A/C at work failed, that you want a nice swim to find that because the heater has been off for two days, that the pool is now 74F....

The great debate is, would the smaller heater and a solar cover, maintaining the higher temperature all the time, be more expensive then the bigger heater and changing temps, considering the up front costs, are quite high, for the bigger heater, and you lose the ability to decide on the way home from work, on a Tuesday when the A/C at work failed, that you want a nice swim to find that because the heater has been off for two days, that the pool is now 74F....

Lol exactly

It seems that one way or the other isn't so much obviously better. Bigger heater is more convenient *after* you have paid the bill. Smaller heater will do the job.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.