What a weekend...32 bottles of bleach and still cloudy...Am I doing it right?

Considering it looks like there is no end in sight, would it make sense to just bump the FC up to a much higher number (40) so that I'm above SLAM level for a longer period of time and there is a higher concentration of FC?

^^ I agree. Doesn't seem like any benefit to exceeding the FC level for your current CYA. I would however be very curious to see how your Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter goes. That seems to be the one "unknown" & "unseen" in all of this.

I suppose the two wall-drains have been confirmed as clean & clear?

Got in the pool last night.....

The 2 wall drains look fine and didn't noticing anything.

Unscrewed the wall skimmer plate and I did notice some gunk/build-up behind it and cleaned it up.

Inspected underneath the cover and it looked fine.

I did notice underneath the cover's metal tube there was quite a bit of some dark/black garbage that I wiped off. Never noticed that before. However, that tube never comes in contact with the water and glides above it.

So my OCLT was not too bad.

8:30 PM...27
7:15 AM...20.5

It's not great, but considering I was losing double digit FC the last few nights, this appears pretty good.

66.5 jugs and counting.

Also, after a couple showers I still smell like bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dbtgallery.php

The saga continues, but I'm feeling a little better...

7:15am...20.5...added 1 jug
2:30pm...18...added 1.5 jugs

How much FC do I lose to the sun? Considering the pool has been open since this morning with full sun I feel as if I'm not losing as much to whatever is in the pool. I did read somewhere on here that I lose about 4.5% of FC per hour at CYA 60. If that's the case, the sun would have eaten up 6-7 FC during the time it was open today which means the majority of my loss since this morning was due to the sun. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

69 jugs...maybe that is the magic number.

You will lose 2-4 ppm FC to the sun at target level FC during the summer. You lose more at elevated FC. As you say, it is a percentage.

The loss rate to the sun is beginning to lessen as the sun angle drops as we transition out of summer.

Well...just when I thought it was getting better

8:30pm....21
7:30am...11

I'm really at a loss as to what is going on. Deep clean of the filter is next buy my wife is going to shot me when she sees me cutting the pipes (all pvc connections and no unions). It's raining so not sure when this will happen.

I'm really starting to retink this SLAM process. 69 jugs of bleach should have killed what was in the pool. To think I have to add more is insane.

This is truly bizarre...

So the FC drops from 21 to 11 overnight with the auto cover closed. I decided to not add bleach.

It's been drizzling/raining all morning since my reading at 7:30am. Rain finally stopped so I opened the pool to just see where I'm at and here comes the bizarre thing...reading is 11 at 12:15pm. So in ~5 hours with the pool cover closed my FC dropped 0.

This whole process has been a head scratcher.

I’ve been in a similar boat this past week, almost 30 bottles (6%) and am thinking of going to dry calcium hypo...my water is clear and at low cc of 0.5 and FC of 4, using SWG, but still working on it.....never encountered this before in 20 years, but my CYA is higher than I have ever had, 70-80, and my FC got to zero...good luck!

At the risk of getting flamed..
Have you checked the phosphate level..?
Uh oh! :whip: Ha. It's a fair question. There is truly something odd going on with Snap's pool. If not in the filter, then chemically that has gone unnoticed. We've been waiting to see if they had time to open that filter as well for a deep clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.