Wet niche grounding and bonding for 12v pool light that uses a transformer (Poolexa).

mpcen

May 3, 2022
Winter Park, FL
Hi all,

I replaced my 120v lighting with a Poolexa lighting system. It's a Controller/Transformer combo which is fed 120V from GFCI and outputs 12v to the light. The light is mounted to a metal niche. The light cable runs through the old junction box, through the old conduit, and eventually comes out of the conduit and into the breaker box. Finally that 12v cable is fed to the controller/transformer. All of this is straightforward and makes sense.

What is confusing the heck out of me is what to do with the ground cable coming into the junction box from inside the wet niche (highlighted in red in the diagram).

I have attached a before/after diagram showing everything in detail. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• pool-lighting-system.png
    pool-lighting-system.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 34
Does your bond wire from your equipment connect to the junction box?

Eitehr connect the bonding/ground wire from the light to the pool bond wire or to the ground bar in your electrical panel.

Does your bond wire from your equipment connect to the junction box?

Eitehr connect the bonding/ground wire from the light to the pool bond wire or to the ground bar in your electrical panel.
The equipment (pump, timer, salt water chlorinator) bonded together but are NOT coming into the electrical panel. With that said, should I still run a ground from the niche to the ground on the electrical panel ground bus bar?

The equipment (pump, timer, salt water chlorinator) bonded together but are NOT coming into the electrical panel.

And it should not.

I asked if the bonding wire ran to the light J box?

With that said, should I still run a ground from the niche to the ground on the electrical panel ground bus bar?

It is up to you. The light is grounded by the wiring through the transformer.

The external wire to the light is a secondary ground.

And it should not.

I asked if the bonding wire ran to the light J box?

It is up to you. The light is grounded by the wiring through the transformer.

The external wire to the light is a secondary ground.
The bonding wire is running from inside the niche, through conduit, into the J box, but just hanging out in there not connected to anything. It was previously connected to the old 110 light ground and the ground coming from GFCI. The image i attached has everything in detail (before and after)

The bonding wire is running from inside the niche, through conduit, into the J box, but just hanging out in there not connected to anything. It was previously connected to the old 110 light ground and the ground coming from GFCI. The image i attached has everything in detail (before and after)

Your choice is you can leave the wire disconnected at the J box or run a green ground wire from the J box to the ground bar in your electrical panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.