Wet Edge Satin Matrix start up

Day 21 @ 1000
pH 7.2
FC 3
CC 0.5
TA 80
CH 250 (I think it has been 250 not 300)
CYA 30 (as tested yesterday)
h2o temp 52

I'll looking at a CSI of -0.67. If I raise the pH to 7.5 either through aeration or Borax to 7.5, I am still looking at -0.37. So:

1. Should I raise TA back up to 90? - No
2. Leave CH at 250? - Yes
3. Use aeration for natural pH rise? - No, let it rise naturally to 7.8
4. Use Borax to raise pH to 7.6, and leave TA and CH alone? - No

Thanks Allen. However, it sounds like you are stating to stop using my sump pump to aid with aeration. Is that correct? Stop aerating? Just let pH rise on it's own?

Thanks Allen. However, it sounds like you are stating to stop using my sump pump to aid with aeration. Is that correct? Stop aerating? Just let pH rise on it's own?

Yes, the PH will rise naturally with new plaster. There is no reason to help rise it faster to 8 when you will then need to add MA to knock it down. Anywhere in the 7's is okay and when it naturally gets to 8 then knock it down some.

Day 21 @1400
Added 14 oz chlorine

Day 22 @0500
Ok. Thank you Allen. Read your post this AM before work. Sump pump removed.

@1830
pH 7.2-7.5
FC 4.5
CC 0
TA 80
CH 250

Startup guides say to keep 1-3PPM of CL for the first 28 days. Too much CL will bleach the color from your new plaster.

Tx Allen.

Well, part of the reason of going with a We Ege surface vs. competitors’ products is that Wet Edge uses mineral based inorganic pigments vs. organic like the competition. The inorganic pigments are at least resistant to fading. Further, after researching this extensively, I chose to go with a white plaster base/non-colored so that I am not subjected to any mottling, fading, and allow visibility of any calcium deposits. Therefore, although Wet Edge does recommend a chlorine level of 1 - 3 for the first 28 days, what harm will come or color will bleach out of a white plaster based aggregrate with a FC of 3 - 4?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking good. Your PH seems to be climbing about 0.1 per day which is good for new plaster.

Sweet! It sure looks like your pool trying to become a Trouble Free Pool LOL Good job overcoming that weird stuff in the beginning. I am going to file this thread away to reference if I see another one doing this.

Kim:kim:

Tx Allen.

Tx Kim. Still have something going on with one of the return jets, but I figured I’ll deal with that after the first 28 days; getting good enough water flow and circulation despite that. There is a return jet for a pressure side cleaner next to this stubborn one. So that’s compensating more than adequately for this reduced flow jet.

But yes, hopefully others can benefit from all the help I’ve gotten with this start up. And true, I am very glad that the adverse effect from the metal sequestrant could be overcome.

Here are my latest results:
Day 25 @1800
pH 7.5-7.8
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
TA 80
CH not testing
CYA not testing

Will add 30 oz chlor to bring to FC 3. I think I was sloppy on testing the FC properly last night. It could’ve been 3.5 two days in a row.

Day 28 @1900
pH 7.5
FC 3
CC 0
TA 80
CH 350
CYA not tested/already performed

Adding zilch.

Hooray! Yippee! Yee-haw! DAY 28 has come. Time to throw in Ghostlight tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I really appreciate all the input and advice which has finally gotten me to this point from planning on the type of surface, to getting the chemistry nailed. I could not have done it without y’all.

Last edited:
Now for a REALLY Trouble Free Pool!!! I love my robot! Throw it in and move on!

You did all of the work. Allen was right by your side the whole way :)hug: Allen!)

So glad things turned out like they did in the end.

If you have a couple of bucks left in your wallet I would like you to think about becoming a supporting member. This will help us keep the server fed! Here is the link: CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Let us know if/when you need us!

Kim:kim:

Since 12/27, the first week of the New Year we all jumped in the pool and then went in the spa. I only expected my twins to do it once. But the boys were so excited I couldn’t keep them from jumping in. Nothing like a brisk 50° pool. Yikes!

But wow, I am so impressed by the surface. It feels fine underfoot.

I just feel bad because in my wife’s haste to exit the pool, she scraped her shin on one of the steps. I told her that that could’ve happened with any surface. Too bad it was her first experience with the new surface.

Last edited:
Just reviving this old tread because I'm about the have my pool plastered with Signature Matrix. Did you end up using the combo brush? The wet edge guide says to use one once per week. I have a wall whale but I will have to buy a combo brush if its important to use one. Any other tips on the start up based on your experience?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.