Went through pool school - waste

While CYA doesn't evaporate, it sort'a dissipates. Some of it leaves when water splashes out. You'll add a little once or twice a year. You'll test for it three or four times a year, just to keep an eye on it.

Thanks, funny part is, I or my family has yet to step a foot in the pool. With weather cold here in Austin, gotta wait til Feb, or March. We will see.
I had to stare at my brand new finish for over six months! Mine went in in October, so it was May or June before I got in that year!

Lol. I love the PC touch.
Red blooded male here. Born and raised on 70s/80s culture, movies, etc. I have no need for safe spaces to hug pets. Lol
First off...... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
secondly, what everyone was alluding to was the sense of community here. Unlike pretty much any other forum, this place is full of rational adults who can discuss differences of opinions and respect each other. Try that at pretty much any other forum and your slightly different opinion will mean that you mother was a *promiscuous lady*. You’d have better luck playing a bunch of teenage boys on Xbox.

Stick around and you’ll learn to love it here too. :)

Reactions: kimkats
Lol. I love the PC touch.
Red blooded male here. Born and raised on 70s/80s culture, movies, etc. I have no need for safe spaces to hug pets. Lol.
😂- its hard to tell by people’s handles on here. Everyone thought i was a guy for the longest .... so i err on the side of caution until i get confirmation lol.

Well, lost the battle with wife. Have to go away with her for 3 or 4 days. In mean time, cleaning pool just before leaving, and added extra chlorine to raise FC to about 5.5. Looking at logs, pool loses about 0.5 ppm FC per day, so this should be fine. Also cranked up tabs dispenser to 4, to help keep fc higher.
On pH side, lowered with MA to about 7.3. Again, it raises about 0.2 in a day. So hope this works ok.
Been reading about TA, how it contributes pH swings it the level is too high. Mine is about 100 now, and from what I have been reading, above 50 or 60, is when it contributes to pH raising faster.
So wonder if that is what causes my pH to raise fast. Going through MA quick, so there must be a reason. Hoping to learn more to get the pH to become stable and to lower my MA use.

Here's one explanation for the MA use.

I think I mentioned this already (the lower you drop pH, the more acid you'll use, logarithmically)... but put another way: if you adjust pH from 7.9 to 7.8 five times, you'll use significantly less acid than if you adjust 7.9 to 7.4 just once, even though both scenarios adjust pH the same total increments (-0.5):

For your 34,000 gallon pool, starting at pH 7.9:
With a TA of 100:
To move pH -0.1 x 5 times uses 41oz of 31% MA
To move pH -0.5 x 1 time uses 55oz of 31% MA
With a TA of 50:
To move pH -0.1 x 5 times uses 23oz of 31% MA
To move pH -0.5 x 1 time uses 31oz of 31% MA

Once your TA stabilizes, and if you dose MA more often, instead of blasting it down to the lower 7s, your acid consumption could drop 50%, and that's not counting your pebble requiring less acid the older it gets. And the lower you drop your pH, the faster it comes up, so if five -0.1 adjustments, one per day, kept your pH stable over five days, one -0.5 adjustment, once every five days, might not last you five days. So the once-every-five-days scenario would also need more acid. So there are multiple vectors going on.

Obviously, adjusting pH every day is not what you want to be doing, so you compromise to make your maintenance regime work for you.

My pH gets adjusted every hour during the day, during swim season. So that's an even more efficient use of MA. Not everybody can justify the expense of automating acid injection, but beyond the sheer convenience and safety advantages, there's some cost savings in there, too... In just 472 years my IntellipH will pay for itself!!

Seriously, I never thought of how the IpH might save on acid until this post. So I never tried to figure out the savings. Nor would I. Not having to handle acid, or worry about pH, sold me on the automation. Frankly I'd pay more for acid if that was required for the convenience...

So, regarding the 472 years, 5 years is just over 1%, bet you're over the 1% now, huh?
Yes, I get the convenience factor for sure.
Wonder how much one of those suckeres costs.

Looking at my logs, initially I was pumping 80, 100, 120 Oz of MA. Over last couple weeks. Looks like I've been putting in average 40 or 50 Oz every couple days. That sounds like a lot to me, not sure though, based on 34k gal. volume.
Thinking of getting TA down to 75 to see how pool reacts. Read numerous posts about TA needing to be around 50 to stabilize the raising, but my pool is new, so I am sure that new age is a factor too.
Just yesterday pm added some to prep for being away 3 days. Today before leaving, saw pH was sane level as yesterday before add. I think it was cold though, and freeze protection kicked in, aerating the water, which would raise pH.
After TA gets down to 75, hope I can see some decrease in frequency or volume if MA additions.
As to FC, I increased chlorinator to 4, we will see how that contributes. That is a temp action though, once Cya is at 40 max, there won't be any more tabs for pool
Guess such is life with a pool, especially one that I haven't yet used. Afyer I come back, maybe will try spa. Friend told me of a buddy he had, who heated pool one time to see how much it cost, and his bill was 2200 that month. That is a large number.
One thing I can say though, to fill my pool in Central TX, cost me just under $200. Was prepared for about 600, so this was a welcome change. NorCal pricing for this volume would have been around 4k.

but beyond the sheer convenience and safety advantages, there's some cost savings in there, too... In just 472 years my IntellipH will pay for itself!!
Assuming the cost of the intelliph is $600.00 and you invested the money at 5% interest instead of buying the intelliph, you would have $6,018,668,330,300.99 in the year 2492.

Seems expensive to me even when you account for inflation.

Also, in the year 2045 and beyond, ph will be controlled by high powered helium neon lasers.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.