mavedartin

Jul 7, 2020
Houston, TX
Been in our the house about 8 years and finally able to update our 30 yr old pool. We ripped out all of the decking and patio. Redid the tile and added travertine coping. Added a tanning ledge 12in deep in a kind of no mans land part of the pool, it was too deep for the kids to stand but not into the deep end where they dive, plus it faces the sun all day. Added a rock waterfall with multiple jumping rock areas. Pool is about 38ft long, 3ft shallow end 9ft deep end. Plaster was done in NPT Quartzscape Grenadine Gray, couldn't find much about the color online but absolutely love how it turned out.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 184
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
That is fantastic! Congrat's!! It looks great. And thanks for sharing the pics. I've been posting here that a pool "face lift" can include some pretty major reshaping, like adding a bench or altering the stairs, etc, so it's great to see that in action.

If it's not rude to ask... it's a bit off-putting to see the method, especially that pile of rubble. Are you confident that is how that's done? Not a criticism, I honestly don't know. I know they gotta fill up the space somehow... I just assumed that they pump in a big slug of gunite or plaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavedartin
That is fantastic! Congrat's!! It looks great. And thanks for sharing the pics. I've been posting here that a pool "face lift" can include some pretty major reshaping, like adding a bench or altering the stairs, etc, so it's great to see that come to life.

If it's not rude to ask... it's a bit off-putting to see the method, especially that pile of rubble. Are you confident that is how that's done? Not a criticism, I honestly don't know. I know they gotta fill up the space somehow...
Not rude at all, exactly as you guessed, that space had to be filled up anyways so they used some of rubble, then filled the rest in with cinderblocks and then gunnite. I did have a bit of that you don't wanna know how the sausage gets made kind of thought about it but feel confident that tanning ledge will outlast us all. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Last edited:
@mavedartin , how big of a job was it to replace the coping? I also have the red bullnose bricks which look awfully outdated and would like to replace them with something nice like what you have. Do they make travertine the same length as the bricks so they just fit into place, does the travertine need to be custom cut, or was there more to it than that? Thanks.

@mavedartin , how big of a job was it to replace the coping? I also have the red bullnose bricks which look awfully outdated and would like to replace them with something nice like what you have. Do they make travertine the same length as the bricks so they just fit into place, does the travertine need to be custom cut, or was there more to it than that? Thanks.
I think the travertine came in 12x12 pieces then had to be cut to fit the curves of the pool, but I imagine if it were a rectangular pool it would be much easier. As far as how hard, you would have to drain the pool, probably redo the waterline tile as it would be hard to get the coping out without damaging the tile, same for your plaster. I could be totally wrong but you would probably want to do all three at the same time.

When they redid my plaster, they saw cut the old away from my tile, and then chipped out the plaster. Tile survived that. Not sure if that would work for coping. I really liked my old tile and I think new tile can double the cost over re-plaster alone, money you could spend on a finish upgrade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.