Welcome any advice, building a new pool

cavvie

Bronze Supporter
May 4, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Hello, I’m so glad I found this forum. We are building a new pool. It will be in-ground with vinyl liner. We like it long enough to exercise in, have a shallow area for kids, volleyball, basketball hoop, a tanning ledge. I added a spa recently after A LOT of contemplation. What advice would you give me about the design? We are adding a covered porch to the square, outlined area boxes in on the back of the house. Appreciate any opinions. It’s probably obvious, but I am completely new to this and don’t have many to go to around me for guidance other than my pool contractor, who has been great, but I need second (& 3rd!) opinions!

Attachments

• E201CA7E-BE5E-4657-B4B3-D1A0E7528892.jpeg
    E201CA7E-BE5E-4657-B4B3-D1A0E7528892.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 35
  • 32CDFCB3-B164-44E5-B8E1-59A005150B91.jpeg
    32CDFCB3-B164-44E5-B8E1-59A005150B91.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 32
Welcome cavvie. If you have an equipment list, you may want to post it along with specs for the pool. You'll get lots of great advice.

For now...a little bump.

Last edited:
OH I love, love, love that you are getting an L shaped pool! The best of all worlds! Play, swim, and dive!! OH YEAH!! I would not change a thing about it!!

I would love to see where this pool is going to go!

Kim:kim:

OH I love, love, love that you are getting an L shaped pool! The best of all worlds! Play, swim, and dive!! OH YEAH!! I would not change a thing about it!!

I would love to see where this pool is going to go!

Wow, thank you for the support! I did not expect a post that would make me feel really good! I’ll be sure to update the thread as we move along with pictures. We should start the work soon, doing the survey and permit process part now.

Super jealous of your L shape! You have everything I’d have loved to add to mine. I wanted an L, but I wanted an autocover slightly more. Your spa is in a good space — not too far from the house but doesn’t block view of the pool. Design looks great!

Now get us the equipment so we can tweak that if needed. Make sure to include model numbers. What we have to say about this part might not make you as happy LOL but it will be said and suggested with your pool's needs in mind. :hug:

I love it. It's like 2 pools in one (diving section and shallow section). My .02 is to put a bench area in the deep/diving part (maybe to the side of the diving board opposite the ladder). You'll use that area so much more if people have a spot to sit and swim around and them come sit again. It will also allow people to hop out quickly instead of swimming over to the ladder. It's safer too since it allows an exit without crossing in front of the diving board.
Get Pentair or Jandy valves (have it in writing). A good builder shouldn't be using cheap ball valves but if they do insist they use the aforementioned.
Lastly, I'd have the shallow end upgraded to the deeper option. Most walls are 3.5' tall. Go for deeper option which is probably 48" (may depend on the manufacturer the builder uses).

Reactions: lazygirl1978
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.