OfficeReefer

Jul 27, 2021
Argyle, TX
Hello TFP,

I recently had a company install new pool lights, the main one in my pool and the spa light that recently went out. Upon first arrival and inspection by the company, they stated the pool relay was terrible and needed to change the relay before changing the light. They did this, and then afterward, we still had no lighting and stated it was a GCFI outlet for 120v near the pool equipment. Next, they sent out an electrician who opened the small box for wiring to the lights, tested that relay or wiring area to the lights near the ground, and then replaced the GCFI outlet. I could not see if anything worked yet as it was full daylight, but I did notice the spa light came on.

The weird part is that I noticed the light was on, and the UI or app selection for lights was not. So we didn't have an option for lights on, but the lights were suddenly on. This would only work when we chose the spa lights options and selected the relevant color in the app before anyone came out. We noticed the pool light slowly went out on select colors and eventually all of them. The spa went abruptly after a significant hail storm or near that time. Currently, if one turns on the spillover, the spa light comes on with the spillover, and if we turn that off, the spa light is inactive. However, the pool person was out yesterday and began to replace the main light. While doing so, my spouse stated that the old light was observed to be powered on in the pool before they replaced the new main light. However, they did not return the morning for whatever reason and left. I came home to find out that the filter pump and cleaner stated they were on but were not on. In the old-school web menu, the status indicates an error with the VSP or Filter Pump.

I will post a few pictures to this thread, but welcome where to start troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you, TFP!

Here's some of the pictures.... my spouse has a thread here and discovered this switch off, near the GCFI outlet mentioned.

Attachments

• pool_equipment.jpg
    pool_equipment.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3318.jpeg
    IMG_3318.jpeg
    755.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 6
And the weird menu, I noticed yesterday. At this moment however, It's in Service Mode manually on the AquaPure controller outside to ensure nothing comes on from schedule.

Attachments

• AquaPure-Menu1.jpg
    AquaPure-Menu1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 5
  • AquaPure-Status1jpg.jpg
    AquaPure-Status1jpg.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5
Update... pool person just arrived and turned on those switches under the controller. Pump came back on and main light temporarily came on and changed through colors.

Spillover was already scheduled to be on and spa light was also on. Main light slowly faded out but spa remained on.

So the question is - if you have an automation system why are the pump and light controlled by a manual switch. Was the automation recently installed and they did not remove the switches?
You should control everything by the automation.

Reactions: OfficeReefer
So the question is - if you have an automation system why are the pump and light controlled by a manual switch. Was the automation recently installed and they did not remove the switches?
You should control everything by the automation.
Switch is a "service" switch. It is there to be sure the power does not come on to the pump while it is being worked on, it doesn't control the pump. That is the function of the Jandy panel that may have been added after the pool was built. That's also why there is a "service" mode in the Jandy panel, so that someone can't remotely operate something that is being serviced/repaired/replaced.

Reactions: OfficeReefer
Switch is a "service" switch. It is there to be sure the power does not come on to the pump while it is being worked on, it doesn't control the pump. That is the function of the Jandy panel that may have been added after the pool was built. That's also why there is a "service" mode in the Jandy panel, so that someone can't remotely operate something that is being serviced/repaired/replaced.
Agree - it all seems redundant and confuses the OP when there are automation controls and also manual switches.
Maybe OP will post how they control the automation - whether by phone app or panel.

Thanks for the reply everyone. No, we don’t use the switches at all. I believe @1poolman1 is correct in that it’s there for servicing. We also never use the outside panel, unless I am working on the pool, cleaning the filter or whatnot. That is where I will use the panel and place it in service mode.

As stated before, I now have my pump back but somehow, the spa light is now being controlled by the spillover function that I added from a previous thread and question I asked. I’m not sure how that could have occurred in replacing a power outlet for GCFI. I don’t even know where to check with my pool lights once working, then slowly not working on the main and then eventually spa to extrapolate into, “you have a bad relay” and “you have a bad gcfi breaker” and now it’s “your actuator shouldn’t be doing that for spillover or something”.

On the AquaLink automation (I assume you have the phone app), there should be a slider button just to turn either pool or spa light - on and off. Does that work?

I am not sure what you mean by " the spa light is now being controlled by the spillover function". The automation does allow you to set up a routine, under One Touch, to do multiple things with one button.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi @HermanTX no, it doesn’t. It used to before I asked this company to come out and replace the lights. This of course, is how we got to the relay, the GCFI and now everything else. We used to just turn out the lights manually and yes, there is an option for the spa that is one touch, also turns on heater and air blower but that is not what I am referencing. I have an option just for the spillover, which if one selects web, then you’ll see the blue Java app based image I have attached. It’s just a spillover that closes a valve or something to fill the spa. If I remember from the other thread, it was an unused option I had in the app and was for solar or something.

Yes, the spillover is actioned by turning a valve. But you are now saying that the spa light comes on when you hit that spillover icon?
This has something to do as to how your lights are wired to the relays that are behind the cover on your AquaLink box.
I think it can be fixed but we would need to see how the wiring is set up now and what functions when you hit specific buttons. It looks like a maze behind that cover plate but it is fairly simple if you follow the wires to which of the relays.

Attachments

• IMG-2013.jpg
    IMG-2013.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-2014.jpg
    IMG-2014.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-2015.jpg
    IMG-2015.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-2016.jpg
    IMG-2016.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-2017.jpg
    IMG-2017.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-2018.jpg
    IMG-2018.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-2019.jpg
    IMG-2019.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 4
I'm also including my settings before anything else gets botched. Here's the lights and various settings in the AquaPure controller. The spillover used to say that where the lights are before the pool guy started messing with that.

Attachments

• IMG-2021.PNG
    IMG-2021.PNG
    69 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-2022.PNG
    IMG-2022.PNG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-2024.PNG
    IMG-2024.PNG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-2023.PNG
    IMG-2023.PNG
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
@HermanTX I think I found the problem, please correct me if I am wrong. From that thread I referenced, @ajw22 pointed me to move whatever was on Aux3 to Solar, since I have nowhere else for that to go. I see that is not in place in the images I provided above, but had to in order to be working. I am surprised this is working and the spillover function still happens.

Could I be safe to assume this pool person is not well versed in these matters when replacing relays and the separate person replacing outlets?

Here's the thread where I asked about this in the other thread Suggestions on Power Savings and Balancing Costs vs Electric Demand with your SWG

Pool spillover and lighting issue fixed. The pool person has left right after installing the new light.

From what I was informed, the lights will sync when in service mode but not on the app. I followed the procedure to turn the off and back on after 4-6 seconds. Is there a way to change this or reset in the app?

Thank you!

And the problem is solved. The pool person replaced the light as requested and did not set the colors to Jandy LED WaterColors. They were set to JandyColors on Lights.

For those that may run into this after turning your lights off and on after 4-6 seconds, make sure the lights are set to JL or JC appropriately on lighting. If nothing is there, you won't be able to control anything but turn the light on and off.
This situation applied to my AquaLink RS4 with Aux3 setting to Spillover instead of the Default lights on this controller.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.