Weeping after plaster and before acid wash

drelg007

Feb 1, 2021
Magnolia, TX, 77354
Hi Everyone,

So, finally the day came. After almost a 4 month wait, we finally got plaster yesterday. The freeze and lack of equipment was a serious problem here in Texas. We are NOT snow & ice people.

Here's my question. I know the gunite will weep. It weeped a lot in a couple spots in the deep end. When the tile guy came to do the tiles in the swim lane, he told us that it was weeping from the corners as well as the holes that they put in for the normal weeping process.

After the plaster was applied in the morning.. they were done by around noon.. we had some errands to run. When we got back home about 5 hours later, the deep end had started weeping again. I have attached pics. This morning, it is way worse and appears to be forming a large puddle and is quite murky looking. I'm concerned that one, it didn't cure long enough; and two, that too much water is coming in and will cause problems later.

Now, I know after reading on here that everyone says this is normal. But how do we know there's an issue until it's too late. We notified our PB with pics and he said he will alert Pebble Sheen people. they are supposed to acid wash on Monday, tomorrow. I know there's a warranty, but I'd rather fix an issue before it gets to that point.. In my opinion, fix the issues before they're a bigger issue later.After 5 hours.jpgAfter 5_hours.jpgCloser_next day.jpgNext day.jpg

It is difficult to stop a major water leak in pool plaster, but it can be done. The builder and plasterer probably have some experience in fixing this problem. Unfortunately, I learned years ago that there will be a permanent mark remaining afterwards. At least it is located somewhere that isn't very visible from the deck.

It is difficult to stop a major water leak in pool plaster, but it can be done. The builder and plasterer probably have some experience in fixing this problem. Unfortunately, I learned years ago that there will be a permanent mark remaining afterwards. At least it is located somewhere that isn't very visible from the deck.
Thank you. I'm not always the trusting type.. and don't want the PB and plasterer to just feed me a line so I will move on with the process. I guess I have to wait to see what their solution is. Any suggestions on questions I should ask to make sure they're doing the right thing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's leaking. An acid wash is not going to put a finger in that leak.

The argument can be made that the pressure of the water inside the pool will keep water from leaking in.

But if water can leak in it can leak out.

Did the builder put in a well point? You may need one to remove excess ground water.

As onBalance stated, that weeping area will leave a mark/stain on the plaster - even after the acid wash.

Reactions: onBalance
That's leaking. An acid wash is not going to put a finger in that leak.

The argument can be made that the pressure of the water inside the pool will keep water from leaking in.

But if water can leak in it can leak out.
that was our thought too. And when they did the dig, it sat for a few days before rebar and then a few more before gunite. We didn't have any water in the hole before gunite. I would think if there was some kind of water table, we would have seen it there. I'm thinking that it could be a bad gunite job.. what about that?

Did the builder put in a well point? You may need one to remove excess ground water.

As onBalance stated, that weeping area will leave a mark/stain on the plaster - even after the acid wash.
no well point, that I'm aware of. Nothing was said about that or that we needed one. I'm sure there would have been an extra charge for that. And there is already starting to be a mark/stain there.. It's definitely a different color under the puddle of water that's there.

Thanks everyone... still not sure what to ask PB and plaster company when they come out tomorrow. The staining is going to definitely be an issue with the wife... it's a huge area. As far as the water coming through the plaster, don't want the answer -- well, once the water is in, you'll never notice..

Anyone have any questions to be asking them to make sure we're getting the right answers and not the runaround?

When it came time to plaster my pool, the plaster company refused to do it until the weeping was under control.. This took several months.. The pool builder did all kinds of stuff that never worked.. He always said.. "no problem.."

Finally, he listened to what I had been saying for months.. You need to redirect the water somehow.. In my case they had to remove about 40' feet of new decking, dig a 2' wide 6' deep trench with a French drain in the bottom and then crushed rock to fill most of the trench back in. At the end of the trench is a sump pump that runs (on and off) 24/7/365. Even in the middle of our hottest summer, the water never stops coming out..

Unfortunately, the stains that you see now will be there forever.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
Hi Everyone.

The acid wash guys came, the Pebble sheen people really, they said that the plaster people should have caught this. The repaired it. Then added more of our color of Pebble Sheen. Cleaned everything off to show us that there was no stain. I was really quite impressed with the process. I took lots of pictures and documented it the process for the future if needed for any warranty work.

They started filling the pool Tuesday when they were done with everything.. Will post more after the water gets adjusted..

Thank you everyone. We were really a little nervous about what was going to happen.-2006452861_20210419_110725_2404485_resized.jpg20210419_111743_resized.jpg20210419_111611_resized.jpg20210420_111235_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20210419_111429_resized.jpg
    20210419_111429_resized.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Yes, they patched it with a grayish material, just a small amount at a time. I don't remember the name of it. It dried very fast. He said it was like when you have an open wound and they put a powder on it to stop it from bleeding.. Sorry, don't remember the terminology. It no longer weeped or leaked. They waited for over an hour to make sure there was no more water weeping out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.